This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
MADI™: Introducing a New, Machinable, Austempered Ductile Iron
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 03, 2003 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A unique combination of metal chemistry and heat treatment has lead to the invention of MADI (machinable austempered ductile iron). Two MADI grades have been developed: chassis grade for fatigue critical applications and crankshaft grade for high strength applications. The mechanical properties, fatigue life of components and quantitative machinability data of MADI, regular ADI and pearlitic ductile iron are presented. Since the design strength of MADI is 50-100% higher than currently used as-cast ductile irons, significantly lighter weight components can now be produced. MADI may lead the way to the increased use of low cost, ductile iron castings since, for the first time, both improved mechanical properties (fatigue resistance or high strength) and improved machinability have been obtained.
|Technical Paper||Austempered Ductile Iron Castings for Chassis Applications|
|Technical Paper||Development of Austempered Ductile Iron Timing Gears|
|Technical Paper||Improving the Properties of Austempered Ductile Iron|
CitationDruschitz, A. and Fitzgerald, D., "MADI™: Introducing a New, Machinable, Austempered Ductile Iron," SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-0831, 2003, https://doi.org/10.4271/2003-01-0831.
- Warrick, R.J. et al “Austempered Ductile Iron Castings for Chassis Applications,” SAE Paper No. 2000-01-1290 Society of Automotive Engineers Warrendale, PA 2000
- Brandenberg, K.R. et al “An ADI Crankshaft Designed for High Performance in TVR's Tuscan Speed Six Sports Car,” SAE Paper No. 2001-01-0408 Society of Automotive Engineers Warrendale, PA 2001
- Keogh, J.R. “Continuing Developments in Austempered Cast Irons,” Proceedings of the Ductile Iron Society's 1998 Keith D. Millis World Symposium on Ductile Iron American Foundry Society Des Plaines, IL 1998 547 570
- Muhlberger, H. “Progress in the Production, Understanding and Application of Germanite-Austempered Ductile Iron,” Proceedings of the 2 nd International Conference on Austempered Ductile Iron: Your Means to Improved Performance, Productivity and Cost University of Michigan Ann Arbor 1986 55 93
- Muhlberger, H. 1981
- Zanardi, F. “The Development of Machinable ADI in Italy,” Proceedings of the 2002 World Conference on ADI Louisville, KY 2002 69 72
- Ductile Iron Handbook American Foundry Society Des Plaines, IL 1992 36 211 213
- ASM Specialty Handbook, Cast Iron ASM International Materials Park, OH 1996 64 65 196 199
- ASM Specialty Handbook, Cast Iron ASM International Materials Park, OH 1996 63
- Mayer, H. Barbezat, B. “Sulzer GGG-100, Austempered Ductile Iron (ADI) Also for Heavy Sections,” Proceedings of the 2 nd International Conference on Austempered Ductile Iron: Your Means to Improved Performance, Productivity and Cost University of Michigan Ann Arbor 1986 99 115