This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Study of Some Combustion Characterstics of Dual Fuel Engine Using EGR
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 03, 2003 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
An experimental investigation has been carried out to study the effects of using exhaust gas recirculation, EGR, on the combustion pressure rise rate and thermal efficiency of a dual fuel engine running on diesel and compressed natural gas. The maximum pressure rise rate during combustion is presented as a measure of combustion noise. Experimental data from the dual fuel engine with EGR has revealed the noise generated from combustion and thermal efficiency at different EGR ratios. A Ricardo E6 diesel engine was converted to run on dual fuel of diesel and compressed natural gas and an exhaust gas recycling system is used throughout the work. The engine was fully computerized and the cylinder pressure data, crank angle data are stored in a PC for off-line analysis. The effects of EGR ratio, engine speeds, loads, temperature of recycled exhaust gases, intake charge pressure, and engine compression ratio on combustion noise and thermal efficiency were examined for the dual fuel engine. The combustion noise and thermal efficiency of the dual fuel engine are found to be affected when the EGR was used in the dual fuel engine.
CitationSelim, M., "A Study of Some Combustion Characterstics of Dual Fuel Engine Using EGR," SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-0766, 2003, https://doi.org/10.4271/2003-01-0766.
- Nwafar O.M.I. Rice G. “Combustion Characteristics and Performance of Natural Gas in High Speed Indirect Injection Diesel Engine” Renewable Energy 5 841 848 1994
- Mtui P.L. Hill P.G. “Ignition Delay and Combustion Duration with Natural gas Fueling of Diesel Engines” SAE paper 961933 1996
- Karim G.A. Zhigang L. “Examination of combustion characteristics in dual fuel engines” ASME HTD Publications 357-1 Jan 14-18 1998
- Sato T. Saito T. Daisho Y. “Combustion and Exhaust Emission Control in a Dual-Fuelled Engine” JSAE Paper No. 9305346 1993
- Karim G. A. “An Examination of Some Measures for Improving the Performance of Gas Fuelled Diesel Engines at Light Load” SAE Paper No. 912366 1991
- Weavar C. S. Turner S. H. Dual Fuel Natural Gas / Diesel Engines: Technology, Performance and Emissions” SAE Paper No. 940548 1994
- Daisho Y. Yaeo T. Koseki T. Saito T. Kihara R. Quiros E. N. “Combustion and Exhaust Emissions in a Direct-Injection Diesel Engine Dual-Fuelled with Natural Gas” SAE Paper No. 950465 1995
- Wahhab M.A. El-Kersh A. M. Abou-El-Seoud S.A. “Correlation Study of Fuel Economy, Exhaust Emission and Noise Control of Combustion Systems With Feasibility Assessment as Applied in Minia Governorate” Grant FRCU 851068, Report No. 1 Supreme Council of Universities Egypt 1986
- Schaberg P.W. Priede T. Dutkiewicz R.K. “Effects of a Rapid Pressure Rise on Engine Vibration and Noise” SAE paper 900013 1990
- Galinsky G. Reader G.t. Potter I.J. Gustafson R.W. “Effect of Various Working Fluid Compositions on Combustion Noise in Diesel Engines” AIAA-94-3996-CP 1157 1162 1994
- Abdalla A.Y. Radwan M.S. Ahmed S.H. “Smoke Level and Operational Roughness of a Pre-Combustion Chamber Diesel Engine Running on Gasoil/Methanol Blends” SAE paper 912358 1991
- Imoto K. Sugiyama S. Fukuzawa Y. “Reduction of Combustion-Induced Noise in IDI Diesel Engine (1 st Report, target of Cycle and Low-Noise Combustion) Transactions of JSME 63 605 329 335 Jan 1997
- Ladommatos N. Abdelhalim S. M. Zhao H. Hu Z. “Effects of EGR on Heat Release in Diesel Combustion” SAE Paper No. 980184 1998
- Ladommatos N. Abdelhalim S. M. Zhao H. Hu Z. “The Dilution, Chemical, and Thermal Effects of Exhaust Gas Recirculation on Diesel Engine Emissions, Part 2: Effects of Carbon Dioxide” SAE Paper No. 961167 1996
- Nielsen O.B. Qvale B. Sorenson S. “Ignition Delay in the Dual Fuel Engine” SAE paper 870589 1987
- Radwan M.S. Salem H. “A Study of Some Combustion Characteristics of Gas Oil / Water Emulsions in a Swirl Chamber Diesel Engine” SAE Paper No. 892056