This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Expansion of HCCI Operating Region by the Combination of Direct Fuel Injection, Negative Valve Overlap and Internal Fuel Reformation
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 03, 2003 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A gasoline-fueled homogeneous charge compression ignition (HCCI) engine with both direct fuel injection and negative valve overlap for exhaust gas retention was examined. The fuel was injected directly into the residual in-cylinder gas during the negative valve overlap interval for the purpose of reforming it by using the high temperature resulting from exhaust gas recompression. With this injection strategy, the HCCI combustion region was expanded dramatically without any increase in NOx emissions which were seen in the case of compression stroke injection. Injection timing during the negative valve overlap was found to be an important parameter that affects the HCCI region width. The injection timing also had the most suitable value in each engine load for the best fuel consumption.
From this result, A new injection strategy in which only a portion of the fuel was injected during the negative valve overlap interval, while the rest of fuel was injected in intake stroke, was proposed. With this split injection, by selecting the suitable amounts of fuel, further fuel consumption improvement was realized. The higher the engine load becomes, the less amount of fuel injected during negative valve overlap was required for the suitable HCCI combustion.
Finally, the advantage of utilizing the combination of the negative valve overlap and the direct fuel injection in expanding HCCI operating region was summarized in a figure as contours of required negative valve overlap interval on engine speed and compression ratio plane. The effect of mixture stratification and the effect of fuel reformation can be utilized to reduce the required negative valve overlap interval for suitable HCCI combustion under each set of engine speed and compression ratio conditions.
CitationUrushihara, T., Hiraya, K., Kakuhou, A., and Itoh, T., "Expansion of HCCI Operating Region by the Combination of Direct Fuel Injection, Negative Valve Overlap and Internal Fuel Reformation," SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-0749, 2003, https://doi.org/10.4271/2003-01-0749.
Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition (Hcci) Combustion 2003
Number: SP-1742; Published: 2003-03-03
Number: SP-1742; Published: 2003-03-03
- Najt, P. M. Foster, D. E. “Compression-Ignited Homogeneous Charge Combustion” SAE Paper 830264 1983
- Thring, R. H. “Homogeneous-Charge Compression-Ignition (HCCI) Engines” SAE Paper 892068 1989
- Onishi, S. Jo, S. H. Shoda, K. Jo, P. D. Kato, S. “Active Thermo-Atmosphere Combustion (ATAC) - A New Combustion Process for Internal Combustion Engines” SAE Paper 790501 1979
- Ishibashi, Y. Asai, M. “A Low Pressure Pneumatic Direct Injection Two-Stroke Engine by Activated Radical Combustion Concept” SAE Paper 980757 1998
- Aoyama, T. Hattori, Y. Mizuta, J. Sato, Y. “An Experimental Study on Premixed-Charge Compression Ignition Gasoline Engine” SAE Paper 960081 1996
- Jacques, L. Dabadie, J. Angelberger, C. Duret, P. Willand, J. Juretzka, A. Schaflein, J. Ma, T. Lendresse, Y. Satre, A. Schulz, C. Kramer, H. Zhao, H. Damiano, L. “Innovative Ultra-low NOx Controlled Auto-Ignition Combustion Process for Gasoline Engine: the 4-SPACE Project” SAE Paper 2000-01-1837 2000
- Morikawa, K. Kaneko, M. et al. “Study on Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition Gasoline Engine (I),” JSAE Scientific Lecture Series at 2001 Spring Conference 51-01 5 8
- Zhao, J. L. H. Ladommatos, N. Ma, T. “Research and Development of Controlled Auto-Ignition (CAI) Combustion in a 4-Stroke Multi-Cylinder Gasoline Engine” 2002
- Koopmans, L. Denbratt, I. “A Four Stroke Camless Engine, Operated in Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition Mode with Commercial Gasoline” 2002
- Hiraya, K. et al. “A Study on Gasoline Fueled Compression Ignition Engine - A Trial of Operation Region Expansion” SAE Paper 2002-01-0416
- Willand, J. Nieberding, R. Vent G. Enderle, C. “The Knocking Syndrome - Its Cure and Its Potential” SAE Paper 982483 1998
- Kaneko, M. Morikawa, K. et al. “Research on a Premixed Compression Ignition Gasoline Engine (II),” JSAE Scientific Lecture Series at 2001 Spring Conference 51-01 9 12
- Marriott, C. D. Reitz, R. D. “Experimental Investigation of Direct Injection-Gasoline for Premixed Compression Ignited Combustion Phasing Control” SAE Paper 2002-01-0418 2002
- Woschni, G. “Universally Applicable Equation for the Instantaneous Heat Transfer Coefficent in the Internal Combustion Engine” SAE Paper 670931 SAE Trans. 76 1967