This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Integrated Simulation and Engine Test of Closed Loop HCCI Control by Aid of Variable Valve Timings
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 03, 2003 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition, HCCI, has the attractive feature of low particulate and low NOx emission combined with high efficiency. The principle is a combination of an Otto and a Diesel engine in that a premixed charge is ignited by the compression heat.
One of the main challenges with the HCCI combustion system is to control the combustion timing/phasing for varying load and external conditions. A method to achieve this on a cycle-by-cycle basis is to vary the valve timing based on a feedback signal from the combustion timing of previous cycles.
A combined engine and control simulation is performed. The simulations are accomplished with a commercial cycle simulation code linked with a commercial control simulation code. The simulations are iteratively verified against engine test data. Engine tests are conducted on a single cylinder engine equipped with at hydraulic valve system that allows a high degree of freedom in choosing the valve timings. A novel very fast hybrid hardware-software system to evaluate combustion timing is described and implemented on the test bed. Combustion timing estimated with this new system has been used as feedback to control the valve timings for the oncoming cycle.
The results show that combustion phasing successfully can be controlled by aid of variable valve timing during varying external conditions. Engine tests describing the control performance achieved in initial experiments are reported. Net Indicated Mean Effective Pressure, net IMEP, of up to 5.6 bar has been tested. The work described forms the basis for further studies of HCCI control.
CitationAgrell, F., Ångström, H., Eriksson, B., Wikander, J. et al., "Integrated Simulation and Engine Test of Closed Loop HCCI Control by Aid of Variable Valve Timings," SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-0748, 2003, https://doi.org/10.4271/2003-01-0748.
Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition (Hcci) Combustion 2003
Number: SP-1742; Published: 2003-03-03
Number: SP-1742; Published: 2003-03-03
- Sjöberg M. Edling L.O. Eliassen T. Magnusson L. Ångström H.E. “GDI HCCI: Effects of Injection Timing and Air Swirl on Fuel Stratification, Combustion and Emission Formation” SAE 2002-01-0106
- Hultqvist A. “Characterization of the Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition Process” Doctoral Thesis, Lund Institute of Technology
- Martinez-Frias J. Aceves S.M. Flowers D. Smith J.R. Dibble R. “HCCI Engine Control by Thermal Management” SAE 2000-01-2869
- Olsson J.O. Tunestål P. Johansson B. “Closed-Loop Control of an HCCI Engine” SAE 2001-01-1031
- Olsson J.O. Tunestål P. Haraldsson G. Johansson B. “A Turbo Charged Dual Fuel HCCI Engine” SAE 2001-01-1896
- Kaahaaina N.B. Simon A.J. Caton P.A. Edwards C.F. “Use of Dynamic Valving to Achieve Residual-Affected Combustion” SAE 2001-01-0549
- Law D. Kemp D. Allen J. Kirkpatrick G. Copland T. “Controlled Combustion in an IC-Engine with a fully Variable Valve Train” SAE 2000-01-0251
- Koopmans L. Denbratt I. “A Four Stroke Camless Engine, Operated in Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition Mode with Commercial Gasoline” SAE 2001-01-3610
- Muller R. Hart M. Krötz G. Eickhoff M. Truscott A. Noble A. Cavalloni C. Gnielka M. “Combustion Pressure Based Engine Management System” SAE 2000-01-0928
- Matekunas F. A. Battitston P. A. Chang C.F. Lancaster D.R. “Cylinder-Pressure-Based Engine Control Using Pressure-Ratio-Management and Low-Cost Non-Intrusive Cylinder Pressure Sensors” SAE 2000-01-0932
- Mladek M. Onder C.H. “A Model for the Estimation of Inducted Air Mass and the Residual Gas Fraction using Cylinder Pressure Measurements” SAE 2000-01-0958
- Rassweiler G.M. Withrow L. “Motion Pictures of Engine Flames Correlated with Pressure Cards” SAE Journal (Trans) 42 185 204 May 1938 Landmark Reprint paper, SAE 800131
- Livengood J.C. Wu P.C. “Correlation of Autoignition Phenomenon in Internal Combustion Engines and Rapid Compression Machines” Fifth Symposium (International) on Combustion 347 356 1955
- Heywood J.B. “Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals” McGraw-Hill, Inc. 0-07-100499-8
- Ohyama Y. “Engine Control Using Combustion Model” SAE 2000-01-0198
- Larsson M. “Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition Conditions for Diesel Fuel” Master Thesis, Machine Design KTH Internal Combustion Engines