This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
“Prediction of In-Cylinder Pressure, Temperature, and Loads Related to the Crank Slider Mechanism of I.C. Engines: A Computational Model”
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 03, 2003 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper describes the initial works related to the study of Internal Combustion Engines, as an object of mechanical design, at the Universidad Tecnológica de Pereira. It is reported a concise, complete methodology for simple model of internal combustion engine. The emphasis of the paper is placed on the use of the in-cylinder parameters (pressure and temperature) and inertial loads in the crank-slider mechanism to derive the loads that act on all the components of the crank-slider mechanism as well as the theoretical output torque for a given geometrical structure and inertial properties. These loads can then be used to estimate the preliminary dimensions of engine components in the initial stage of engine development.
To obtain the pressure and temperature inside the cylinder, under different operation parameters, such as air fuel ratio and spark angle advance, a Zero dimensional model is applied. The heat transfer from the cylinder and friction are not taken into account. In this paper it is also outlined the completion of an instrumentation and a test bench system to study the behavior of spark ignition engines under different operation regimes.
CitationPiedrahita, C. and Riaza, H., "“Prediction of In-Cylinder Pressure, Temperature, and Loads Related to the Crank Slider Mechanism of I.C. Engines: A Computational Model”," SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-0728, 2003, https://doi.org/10.4271/2003-01-0728.
- ZHELEZKO B. E. Construction and Design Fundamentals for Automobiles' and Tractors' Engines. Superior School. Minsk, 1988.
- HEYWOOD, John B. Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals. Mc Graw Hill. New York, 1988.
- JOVAJ M. S. Automotive Engines. Mir. Moscow, 1988.
- LUMLEY J, L. Engines. An Introduction. Cambridge University Press. Cambridge, 1999.
- MERIAM, J. L.; KRAIGE, L. G. Engineering Mechanics: Dynamics. John Wiley and Sons. New York, 1997.
- HAM, C. W.; CRANE, E. J.; ROGERS, W. L. Mechanics of Machinery. McGraw-Hill. New York, 1958.
- CHEN C, HSIAO F. Measurement and analysis of Combustion Process in a Small Internal Combustion Engine.
- Matlab “User's Guide” Natick: MathWorks, Inc, 1997.