This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Laminated Steel Forming Modeling Techniques and Experimental Verifications
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 03, 2003 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Laminated steel sheets sandwiched with a polymer core are increasingly used for automotive applications due to their vibration and sound damping properties. However, it has become a major challenge in finite element modeling of laminated steel structures and forming processes due to the extremely large differences in mechanical properties and in the gauges of the polymer core and the steel skins.
In this study, circular cup deep drawing and V-bending experiments using laminated steels were conducted in order to develop a modeling technique for laminate forming processes. The effectiveness of several finite element modeling techniques was investigated using the commercial FEM code LS-Dyna. Furthermore, two production parts were selected to verify the modeling techniques in real world applications.
CitationYao, H., Chen, C., Liu, S., Li, K. et al., "Laminated Steel Forming Modeling Techniques and Experimental Verifications," SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-0689, 2003, https://doi.org/10.4271/2003-01-0689.
- Mignery L. A. “Reduced Vibration Design” SAE Paper No. 951242
- Chen Y. S. Hsu T.J. Chen S. I. “Vibration Damping Characteristics of Laminated Steel Sheet” Metallurgical Transactions A 22A 1991 653
- Link T. “Formability and Performance of Steel-Plastic-Steel Laminated Sheet Materials” SAE paper 2001-01-0079 2001
- DiCello J. A. “Steel-Polypropylene-Steel Laminate - A New Weight Reduction Material” SAE Paper No. 800078 1980
- Yoshida M. “Press Formability of Vibration-Damping Sheets” Journal of the JSTP 26 291 1985
- Huang Y. M. Leu D. K. “Finite-element simulation of the bending process of steel/polymer/steel laminate sheets” Journal of Material Processing Technology 52 319 337 1993
- Makinouchi A. Yoshida S. Ogawa H. “Finite Element Simulation of Bending Process of Steel-Plastic Laminate Sheets” Journal of the JSTP 29 330 1988
- Mignery L. A. “Designing Automotive Dash Panels with Laminated Metal” SAE Paper No. 1999-01-3201
- Mignery L. A. “Designing with Metal/Polymer/Metal Composites,” Proceedings of the design Engineering Technical conference 84-3 3 American Society of Mechanical Engineers 1995
- Yoshida F. Motoyashiki Y. “Elastic-Plastic Analysis of Steel/Plastic/Steel Sandwich Plate in Three-point Bending” Journal of the JSTP 30 340 1985
- Ito K. Sagawa T. Terada M. “Simple Analysis of Double-Bent in V-type Bending of Steel/Resin/Steel Laminates Vibration Damping Sheet” Journal of the JSTP 30 346 1989