This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Predictive Calculation of Idling Rattle in Manual Transmissions -Based on Experimental Measurements of Gear Vibration Occurring in Backlashes-
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 03, 2003 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
It is generally known that the idling rattle in manual transmissions is caused by gear tooth portions that make repeated impact-generating vibrations in the backlashes. These vibrations result from rotational fluctuations of the flywheel induced by combustion in the engine.
In the study reported here, the authors constructed an experimental setup using rotary encoders and a transient torsional angle converter that allowed the long-awaited direct measurement of impact-generating vibrations in the backlashes. Using this experimental result, the following ideas that the authors must pay attention for the numerical simulation are obtained. That is, transmission drag torque is to be input and treated as the offset value in the torque value of the torsional characteristics in the clutch disc, and coefficients of attenuation have great influence upon the calculation result.
CitationFujimoto, T. and Kizuka, T., "Predictive Calculation of Idling Rattle in Manual Transmissions -Based on Experimental Measurements of Gear Vibration Occurring in Backlashes-," SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-0678, 2003, https://doi.org/10.4271/2003-01-0678.
- Fujimoto, T. Kizuka, T. An Improvement of the Prediction Method of the Idling Rattle in Manual Transmission SAE TRANSACTION Paper, 2001-01-1164 2001
- Fujimoto, T. Chikatani, Y. Kojima, J. Reduction of Idling Rattle in Manual Transmission SAE TRANSACTION Paper, 870395 1987
- Sakai, T. et al. Theoretical and Experimental Analysis of Rattling of Automotive Gearbox SAE 810773 1981
- Chikatani, Y. et al Reduction of Idling Rattle in Trucks SAE 911044 1991
- Comparin R.J. et al An Analytical Study of Automotive Neutral Gear Rattle Transactions of ASME, journal of Mechanical Design 112 June 1990 237 245
- Hagiwara B. Analysys of Non-Linear Vibration of Drive Train for Heavy Duty Vehicle 19-FISITA