This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Combustion Stability at Idle: A Non-Indicated Methodology For Analysis
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 03, 2003 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A non-indicated approach was performed with the aim of finding an easy, time saving, and effective analysis methodology, to evaluate the idle quality of an IC SI engine, to be used both on the engine test bed and on-vehicle by means of Engine Control Unit calibration system. A classical method of evaluating engine idle stability is based on statistical analysis of the in-cylinder pressure signal, sampled with respect to the actual crank angle. However, this approach is expensive and is sometimes difficult to apply, especially if on-vehicle activity is required. An alternative approach has been evaluated, concerning statistical analysis of instantaneous engine speed, in comparison with pressure indicated analysis. An experimental on-vehicle activity was performed in order to evaluate the subjective idle quality perception. A correlation between the engine speed-based statistical parameters and the indicated pressure measurements versus annoying events perceived on the vehicle was detected and related targets were found. On-vehicle experimental results were confirmed by engine test bed activity on different engines.
CitationDi Martino, U., Formisano, G., and Lucignano, G., "Combustion Stability at Idle: A Non-Indicated Methodology For Analysis," SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-0640, 2003, https://doi.org/10.4271/2003-01-0640.
- Patterson D. J. “Cylinder pressure variations, a fundamental problem” SAE Paper No. 660129 1966
- Young M. B. “Cyclic Dispersion in the Homogeneous Charge Spark-Ignition Engine - A Literature Survey” SAE Paper No. 810020 1981
- Ando H. Motomochi M. “Contribution of fuel transport lag and statistical perturbation in combustion to oscillation of SI engine speed at idle” SAE Paper No. 870545 1987
- Nishimura Y. Ishii K. “Engine Idle Stability Analysis and Control” SAE Paper No. 860415 1986
- Mills J.S. “Multivariable Control of Engine Idle Speed” SAE Paper No. 970611 1997
- Han M. Loh R.N.K. Wang L. Lee A. Stander D. “Optimal Idle Speed Control of an Automotive Engine” SAE Paper No. 981059 1998
- Han S.B. Chung Y.J. “The influence of Air-Fuel Ratio on Combustion Stability of a Gasoline Engine at Idle” SAE Paper No. 1999-01-1488 1999
- Badami M. Marzano M.R. Nuccio P. “Influence of Late Intake-Valve Opening on the S.I. Engine-Performance in Idle Condition” SAE Paper No. 960586 1996
- Hoard J. Rehagen L. “Relating Subjective Idle Quality to Engine Combustion” SAE Paper No. 970035 1997
- Connolly T. F. “Direct Estimation of Cyclic Combustion Pressure Variability Using Engine Speed Fluctuations in an Internal Combustion Engine” SAE Paper No. 940143 1994
- Heywood J. “Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals” McGraw-Hill 1988