This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Fundamental Study on Effects of Residual Fuel Droplets on Flame Propagation in SI Engines
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 03, 2003 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Experimental studies on flame propagation in fuel droplet-vapor-air mixtures were performed with a constant-volume chamber. Monodispersed and mono-sized fuel droplet clouds were used for experiments as a simple model of residual fuel droplets in a gasoline SI engine. The results show that, on the fuel-lean side, the flame speed and the maximum burning pressure of the fine droplet-vapor-air mixtures exceed those of the completely gaseous premixtures with the same total equivalence ratio. It was found that the evaporation rate of fuel droplets and the slip velocity between fuel droplets and unburned gas play an important role in determining the flame speed.
- Jun'ichi Sato - Ishikawajima-Harima Heavy Industries Co., Ltd.
- Hiroshi Nomura - College of Industrial Technology, Nihon University
- Toyohiro Hamasaki - College of Industrial Technology, Nihon University
- Ikue Kawasumi - College of Industrial Technology, Nihon University
- Yasushige Ujiie - College of Industrial Technology, Nihon University
CitationNomura, H., Hamasaki, T., Kawasumi, I., Ujiie, Y. et al., "Fundamental Study on Effects of Residual Fuel Droplets on Flame Propagation in SI Engines," SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-0628, 2003, https://doi.org/10.4271/2003-01-0628.
- Kadota, T. Mizutani, S. Wu, C. Y. Hoshino, M. Fuel Droplet Size Measurements in the Combustion Chamber of a Motored SI Engine via Laser Mie Scattering Detroit, Michigan 1990 SAE Paper 900477
- Burgoyne, J. H. Cohen, L. The Effect of Drop Size on Flame Propagation in Liquid Aerosols Proc. R. Soc. A225 1954 375 392
- Hayashi, S. Kumagai, S. Flame Propagation in Fuel Droplet-Vapor-Air Mixtures S., Proc. Combust. Inst. 15 1974 445 452
- Yoshizaki, T. Yamaguchi, M. Nishida, K. Hiroyasu, H. Yoshida, H. Sakuraya, T. Flame Propagation of Spray Compound Mixture in a Constant Volume Vessel Proc. of Fifth International Microgravity Combustion Workshop Cleveland, Ohio 1999 293 296
- Nomura, H. Izawa, K. Ujiie, Y. Sato, J. Marutani, Y. Kono, M. Kawasaki, H. An Experimental Study on Flame Propagation in Lean Fuel Droplet-Vapor-Air Mixtures by Using Microgravity Conditions Proc. Combust. Inst. 27 1998 2667 2674
- Nomura, H. Koyama, M. Ujiie, Y. Sato, J. Kono, M. Yoda, S. Microgravity Experiments on Combustion of Monodispersed and Monosized Fuel Droplet Clouds Proc. of Fifth International Microgravity Combustion Workshop Cleveland, Ohio 1999 289 292
- Nomura, H. Koyama, M. Miyamoto, H. Ujiie, Y. Sato, J. Kono, M. Yoda, S. Microgravity Experiments of Flame Propagation in Ethanol Droplet - Vapor - Air Mixture The Proc. Combust. Inst. 28 2000 999 1005
- Micro-Gravity Laboratory of Japan Microgravity Drop Experiment Facility User's Guide 2001
- Yoshida, H. Arai, M. Hiroyasu, H. Yokotani, M. Structure of Flames Propagating in Spray Compound Combustible Mixtures J. of JASME 57 1991 2416 2420