This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Spark Ignition Engine Mass Air Flow Control for Precise Torque Management
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 03, 2003 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Presented in this paper is a robust feedback controller design procedure to regulate the mass air flow (MAF) into a 4.6L V8 spark ignition engine. A system level model of engine throttle to engine mass air flow is experimentally determined. In addition, an H∞ controller is designed to control engine mass air flow with zero steady state error while addressing the nonlinear throttle characteristics and pure delay. The controller design methodology applied to the mass air flow control problem is discussed and an interpretation of the controller presented. Finally, engine dynamometer data demonstrates that the H∞ controller rejects noise and disturbances while meeting transient and steady state performance objectives.
CitationIngram, G., Franchek, M., and Balakrishnan, V., "Spark Ignition Engine Mass Air Flow Control for Precise Torque Management," SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-0624, 2003, https://doi.org/10.4271/2003-01-0624.
- Inoue T. Aoki K. Suzuki T. Future engine control Technical Report 901152 SAE 1990
- Stefanopoulou A. Grizzle J. Freudenberg J. Engine air-fuel ratio and torque control using secondary throttles Proceedings of the IEEE Conference on Decision and Control 3 2748 53 1994
- Ginoux S. Champoussin J. Engine torque determination by crankangle measurements: State of the art, future prospects Technical Report 970532 SAE 1997
- Azzoni P. Moro D. Ponti F. Rizzoni G. Engine and load torque estimation with application to electronic throttle control Technical Report 980795 SAE 1998
- Xu Z. Ioannou P. Adaptive throttle control for speed tracking Vehicle System Dynamics 23 293 306 1994
- Tudor R. Electronic throttle control as an emission reduction device Technical Report 930939 SAE 1993
- Benninger N. Plapp G. Requirements and performance of engine management systems under transient conditions Technical Report 910083 SAE 1991
- Bidan P. Boverie S. Chaumerliac V. Non-linear control of a spark-ignition engine IEEE Transactions on Control Systems Technology 3 1 4 13 1995
- Bendat J. Piersol A. Engineering Applications of Correlation and Spectral Analysis John Wiley and Sons, Inc. 2nd 1993
- Doyle J. Francis B. Tannenbaum A. Feedback Control Theory Macmillian Publishing Co. 1992
- Carnevale C. Moschetti A. Idle speed control with H-infinity technique Technical Report 930770 SAE 1993
- Zhou K. Doyle J. Glover K. Robust and Optimal Control Prentice Hall 1996
- Zhou K. Doyle J. Essentials of Robust Control Prentice Hall 1998
- Chiang R. Safonov M. Robust Control Toolbox, User's Guide The Math Works, Inc. 1997
- Williams S. Hrovat D. Davey C. Maclay D. Crevel J. Chen L. Idle speed control design using an H-infinity approach Proceedings of the American Control Conference 3 1950 56 1989
- Franchek M. Selecting the performance weights for mu and H-infinity synthesis methods for SISO regulating systems Transactions of the ASME 118 126 31 1996
- Shah M. Franchek M. Nonlinear modeling and control of I.C. engine idle speed Nonlinear Dynamics and Controls American Society of Mechanical Engineers 91 129 34 1996