This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Actively Controlled Cooling Jets
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 03, 2003 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A proof-of-concept study has been undertaken to demonstrate the use and potential benefits of actively controlled coolant jets in an IC engine cooling gallery simulator. Results have shown that substantial reductions in coolant volumes are possible and that the control of the liquid/metal surface temperature can be achieved within +/- 0.2°C in response to transient heat flux conditions.
- S. Joyce - Visteon
- A. Vagenas - Department of Mechanical Engineering, University of Bath
- J. G. Hawley - Department of Mechanical Engineering, University of Bath
- C. J. Brace - Department of Mechanical Engineering, University of Bath
- K. Robinson - Department of Mechanical Engineering, University of Bath
- N. A. F. Campbell - Department of Mechanical Engineering, University of Bath
CitationVagenas, A., Hawley, J., Brace, C., Robinson, K. et al., "Actively Controlled Cooling Jets," SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-0614, 2003, https://doi.org/10.4271/2003-01-0614.
- Martin, H. ‘Heat and Mass Transfer Between Impinging Gas Jets and Solid Surfaces’ Advances in Heat Transfer 13 1977
- Downs, H. T. and James, E. H. ‘Jet Impingement Transfer - A Literature Survey’ American Society of Mechanical Engineers, Paper 87-HT-35 1987
- Hrycak, P. ‘Heat Transfer from Impinging Jets - A Literature Review’ Technical Report AFWALTR-81-3504 Flight Dynamics Laboratory, Wringht Patterson AFB Ohio 1981
- Vader, D. T. Incropera, F. P. and Viskanta, R. ‘Local Convective Heat Transfer from a Heated Surface to an Impinging, Planar Jet of Water’ International Journal Heat Mass Transfer 34 611 623 1991
- Webb, B. W. and Ma, C. F. ‘Single-Phase Liquid Jet Impingement Heat Transfer’ Advances in Heat Transfer 26 1995
- Ma, C. F. ‘Liquid Jet Impingement With or Without Boiling’ Proceedings of the 10 th National Heat Transfer Congress Genova, Italy 25 - 27 June 1992 35 60 J. Thermal Science 5 2 1993 128 131
- Nunney, M. J. ‘Light and heavy vehicle technology’ Newnes 1992
- Hawley JG Brace CJ Campbell NAF Robinson K Vagenas A Joyce S “Internal Combustion Engine Cooling” London 16 August 2001
- Collier J. G. and Thome J. R. ‘Convective Boiling and Condensation’ Third 201 1996
- Franklin Gene F. Powell David J. and Emami-Naeini Abbas ‘Feedback Control Of Dynamic Systems’ Third 183 1994