This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Development of Dynamic Dent Resistance Testing Procedures
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 03, 2003 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The dent resistance of an automotive body panel has been used as one of key design parameters for automotive body panels. Quasi-static dent testing procedures have been well documented in North America using A/SP Standard Dent Resistance Test Procedures and numerous publications in static denting are also available. However, test procedures under dynamic denting are not very well documented and limited data exist on dynamic denting performance of automotive body panels. In this paper, dynamic dent tests are carried out using different impact velocities and different test procedures. The advantages and disadvantages of test procedures are discussed. Different ways to characterize the dynamic dent test results are investigated and discussed. Due to higher impact velocity during the dynamic dent testing, the acceleration effect must be considered in the data analysis. Experiments were carried out on a hydraulic controlled dynamic dent tester. A laboratory produced stretch dome panel with 2% equally biaxial strains was used as the test specimen. Two different steel grades are used: a mild steel and a high strength steel. Test results are also compared to static dent test results.
|Technical Paper||A Study on Chipping Failure of Automotive Coatings|
|Technical Paper||On-Line Nugget Expulsion Detection for Aluminium Spot Welding and Weldbonding|
|Technical Paper||Impact Testing of Lower Control Arm for Crashworthiness Simulation|
CitationShih, H. and Shi, M., "Development of Dynamic Dent Resistance Testing Procedures," SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-0607, 2003, https://doi.org/10.4271/2003-01-0607.
- Johnson T. E., Jr. and Schaffnit W. O., “Dent Resistance of Cold-Rolled Low-Carbon Steel Sheet”, SAE Paper No. 730528 (1973).
- Dicello J. A. and George R. A., “Design Criteria for the Dent Resistance of Auto Body Panels”, SAE Paper No. 740081 (1974).
- Ni Chi-Mou, “Dent Resistance of Auto Body Panels of Mild Steel, High Strength Steel and Aluminum Alloy”, GM Res Labs, 1975.
- Burley C. E., Niemeier B. A. and Koch G. P., “Dynamic Denting of Autobody Panels”, SAE Paper No. 760165 (1976).
- Ni Chi-Mou, “Analysis of Panel Dent Resistance”, S. of Eng. Sci. 13th Ann. Mtg NASA, pp. 653-663 (1976).
- Kojima M. and Hayashi Y., “A Study on the Selection of High Strength Steel Sheets for Auto-Body Panels”, SAE Paper No. 800369 (1980).
- Asai T., Sakai K., Kato K., Oohashi A. and Hirano M., “Study for the Use of High Strength Steel Sheet for Autobody Panels”, Proceedings of 11th IDDRG, Les Momoiries Scientifiques Revue Metallurgie, Mars, pp. 257-266 (1980).
- Yutori Y., Nomura S., Kokubo I. and Ishigaki H., “Study on the Static Dent Resistance”, Proceedings of 11th IDDRG, Les Momoiries Scientifiques Revue Metallurgie, April, pp. 561-569 (1980).
- Mahmood Hikmat F., “Dent Resistance of Surface Panel and Slam Area”, SAE Paper No. 810099 (1981).
- painter M. J. and Pearce R., “The Denting Behavior of Sheet Materials”, Proceedings of 12th IDDRG, pp. 399-410 (1982).
- Nomura S., Yutori Y., Iwaya J., Miyahara M. and Kokubo I., “A Study of Dynamic Dent Resistance”, Proceedings of 13th IDDRG, pp. 394-402 (1984).
- Shi Ming F. and Meuleman David J., et al., “An Evaluation of the Dynamic Dent Resistance of Automotive Steels”, SAE paper No. 910287 (1991).
- Shi Ming F. and Meuleman David J., et al., “Prestrain Effects on Static Dent Resistance of Automotive Steels”, SAE Paper No. 910288 (1991).
- Shi Ming F. and Meuleman David J., et al., “Strain Rate Sensitivity of Automotive Steels”, SAE Paper No. 920245 (1992).
- Shi Ming F. and Zurdosky Stephen J., “Dynamic Dent Resistance Performance of Steels and Aluminum”, SAE Paper No. 930786 (1993).
- Shi Ming F., Brindza J. A. and Michel P. F., et al., “Static and Dynamic Dent Resistance Performance of Automotive Steel Body Panels”, SAE Paper No. 970158 (1997).
- McCormick M. A. and Fekete J. R., et al., “Effects of Steel Strengthing Mechanisms on Dent Resiatnce of Automotive Body Panels”, SAE Paper No. 98096 (1998).
- Thomas Dylan, et al., “Static and Dynamic Denting of Paint Baked AA6111 Panels: Comparison of Finite Element Predictions and Experiments”, SAE Paper No. 2001-01-3047.
- Auto/Steel Partnership (A/SP) Dent Resistance Task Force Internal Report (1996).