This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Dent Simulation of Automotive Outer Panel Using High Strength Steel Sheets
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 03, 2003 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In this study, an FEM simulation method was investigated in order to predict the dent resistance and stiffness performance of automotive exterior body panels. The method was based on the combination of a forming simulation and a static dent simulation. The dent simulation was carried out with material models taking forming effects, such as work hardening and thickness variation into account. The modeling method of material properties with the forming effects was discussed to improve the prediction accuracy. For the validation of the accuracy, forming and denting tests were carried out for a door model panel using mild steels or high strength steels. The results of the dent simulations showed good agreement with the experimental results.
|Technical Paper||Material and Design Factors Influencing the Quasi-Static Dent Resistance of Steel Body Panels|
|Technical Paper||Denting Simulation and Verification|
|Technical Paper||Stress Intensity Factor Based Spot Welds Fatigue Life Prediction Model|
CitationSato, K., Tokita, Y., Ono, M., and Yoshitake, A., "Dent Simulation of Automotive Outer Panel Using High Strength Steel Sheets," SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-0606, 2003, https://doi.org/10.4271/2003-01-0606.
- Thorpe Michael D. Adam Henrik “ULSAB-AVC - Overview and Design” SAE 2002-01-0036 2002
- Schurter Paul G. “ULSAB-Advanced Vehicle Concepts -Manufacturing and Processes” SAE 2002-01-0039 2002
- Shaw Jody et al. “ULSAB-Advanced Vehicle Concepts -Materials” SAE 2002-01-0044 2002
- Zuidema Blake K. Adam Henrik “ULSAB-Advanced Vehicle Concepts: Safety/Crash Management” 2002
- Chen X.M. Shi M.F. “Denting Simulation and Verification” SAE 2002-01-0789 2002
- DiCostanzo G.P. Matiock K. “Effect of Tensile Properties on Dent Resistance of Sheet Steels” SAE 60024 1996
- McCallum Kevin Rado Les “Achieving Dent Resistance Improvements and Weight Reduction Through Stamping Process Optimization and Steel Substitution” SAE 960025 1996
- LSTC “LS-DYNA User's Manual Version 950.” Livermore Software Technology Corporation 2000