This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Visualization of the Contact Condition and Lubricant Flow Between a Seal Ring and a Shaft for Automatic Transmissions
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 03, 2003 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Seal rings are used as shaft seals in automatic transmissions, where they act as a dam to direct pressurized fluid flow to hydraulic circuits. Conventionally, cast-iron seal rings were used, but over the past two decades, this material has been switched to resins like PTFE and PEEK to satisfy performance requirements such as low leakage and low frictional torque. However in using resin seal rings, the shaft sometimes undergoes the so-called three body abrasive wear due to invasion of hard particles, such as wear particles and dust, into the sliding portion between the seal ring and the shaft. To prevent such wear of the shaft, it is important to prevent invasion of hard particles into the sliding portion, and also to promptly discharge hard particles from the sliding portion. We therefore designed a seal ring taking into consideration these needs and investigated its shaft wear reduction effects. We built a test apparatus to observe the contact state of the seal ring face under hydraulic pressure using the LIF method, and clarified the effects of the contact state of the seal ring on shaft wear.
CitationNakaoka, S., Sato, Y., Yasudomi, T., and Takeda, T., "Visualization of the Contact Condition and Lubricant Flow Between a Seal Ring and a Shaft for Automatic Transmissions," SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-0472, 2003, https://doi.org/10.4271/2003-01-0472.
- Kuroki T. Sowa M. “Investigation of Leakage Phenomena and Improvement of Sealing Performance of Seal Rings Used for Rotary Shafts of Automatic Transmissions” SAE Tech Paper 910534 1991
- Kuroki T. et al. “Durability Upgrading and Frictional Torque Lowering of the Seal Ring Used for Automatic Transmissions” SAE Tech Paper 920720 1992
- Kato M. et al. “NTN High Performance Resin Sealring Used in Automatic Transmission System” NTN Technical Review 61 1992 50
- Mikoshiba Y. et al. “The Development of New 5speed Automatic Transmission” 0919-1364 84-01 1 5 2001
- Eleftherakis John G. Khalil Abrahim “Development of a Laboratory Test Contaminant for Transmissions” SAE Tech Paper 900561 1990
- Sato Y. et al. “A Study of the Sealing Mechanism of Radial Lip Seal with Helical Ribs -Measurement of the Lubricant Fluid behavior under Sealing Contact-” SAE Tech Paper 1999-01-1878 1999
- Smart A. E. Ford R. A. J. “Measurement of thin liquid films by a fluorescence technique” Wear 29 1974 41
- Ford R. A. J. Foord C. A. “Laser-based fluorescence technique for measuring thin liquid films” Wear 51 1978 289
- Nakaoka S. et al. “Wear and Leakage in Seal Ring Design” SAE Tech Paper 2001-01-0685 2001