This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Small Brush DC Motors using Soft Magnetic Composites for 42V Automotive Applications
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 03, 2003 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper presents new design approaches for the realization of small DC motors with SMC, for 42V automotive applications. Several structural solutions are proposed which use new kinds of windings to improve the performance and to minimize the production cost. These structures are using a multi-layer concentrated winding with a small number of slots. They are well adapted to the production process of metal powder parts. The new design is validated by the experimental performance of a SMC 42V Brush-DC prototype and by a comparative analysis with a classical 12V laminated motor used for an automotive 180W application. A 50% gain on the copper volume is obtained for the same specifications and performance of this application.
CitationCros, J., Viarouge, P., Chalifour, Y., and GELINAS, C., "Small Brush DC Motors using Soft Magnetic Composites for 42V Automotive Applications," SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-0444, 2003, https://doi.org/10.4271/2003-01-0444.
- MacLean J.K.L. “Considerations in the design of small motors for automotive applications” Machines for Automotive Applications (Digest No. 1996/166) IEE 1996 5/1 5/4
- Thiemer H. “Influence of automotive 42 V powernet on small PM DC motors” Electric Machines and Drives Conference 2001 591 593
- Kassakian J.G. Wolf H.C. Miller J.M. Hurton C.J. “Automotive electrical systems circa 2005” IEEE Spectrum 33 8 Aug. 1996 22 27
- West J.G.W. Howe D. “Designing motors & generators for automotive applications” INTERTECH Seminars Nice (France) May 22-23 2001
- Quebec Metal Powder limited “Atomet EM-1 Ferromagnetic composite powder,” datasheet 2000
- Cros J. Viarouge P. Halila A. “Brush DC motors with concentrated windings and soft magnetic composites armatures” IEEE/IAS'01 Annual meeting Proc. Chicago. USA Oct. 2001
- Cros J. Viarouge P. “Brush DC motors and AC commutator motor structures with concentrated windings” Sept. 2000
- Cros J. Viarouge P. Figueroa J.R. Chalifour Y. “A New Structure of Universal Motor using Soft Magnetic Composites” 36 th Annual Conf. of Industrial Applications Society, IAS'01 1 Oct. 2001 75 82
- Cros J. Viarouge P. “Synthesis of high performance PM motors with concentrated windings” Transactions on Energy Conversion 17 2 June 2002 248 253
- Hamdi E.S. “Design of small electrical machines” Wiley & Sons 0471952028 1994