This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The Effects of Split Injection and Swirl on a HSDI Diesel Engine Equipped with a Common Rail Injection System
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 03, 2003 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
To overcome the trade-off between NOx and particulate emissions for future diesel vehicles and engines it is necessary to seek methods to lower pollutant emissions. The desired simultaneous improvement in fuel efficiency for future DI (Direct Injection) diesels is also a difficult challenge due to the combustion modifications that will be required to meet the exhaust emission mandates.
This study demonstrates the emission reduction capability of split injections, EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculation), and other parameters on a High Speed Direct Injection (HSDI) diesel engine equipped with a common rail injection system using an RSM (Response Surface Method) optimization method. The optimizations were conducted at 1757 rev/min, 45% load. Six factors were considered for the optimization, namely the EGR rate, SOI (Start of Injection), intake boost pressure, and injection pressure, the percentage of fuel in the first injection, and the dwell between injections. In addition, the effects of swirl were investigated.
The benefit of the combined effects of EGR with supercharging was well realized by the RSM optimization, which resulted in simultaneous reductions in both NOx and PM emissions, while even improving BSFC (Brake Specific Fuel Consumption). Through the present optimization process, it was shown that RSM optimization is an effective and powerful tool for realizing the full advantages of the combined effects of combustion control techniques. In addition, observation of the optimization process provides a more thorough understanding of HSDI diesel combustion since the observed trends can be explained by monitoring the effects of the operating parameters.
CitationLee, T. and Reitz, R., "The Effects of Split Injection and Swirl on a HSDI Diesel Engine Equipped with a Common Rail Injection System," SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-0349, 2003, https://doi.org/10.4271/2003-01-0349.
In-Cylinder Diesel Particulate and Nox Control 2003
Number: SP-1738; Published: 2003-03-03
Number: SP-1738; Published: 2003-03-03
- Walsh, M. P. “Global Trends in Diesel Emissions Control - A 1998 Update” SAE Paper 980186 1998
- Tanin, K. V. Wickman, D. D. Montgomery, D. T. Das, S. Reitz, R. D. “The Influence of Boost Pressure on Emissions and Fuel Consumption of a Heavy-Duty Single-Cylinder D.I. Diesel Engine” SAE Paper 1999-01-0840 1999
- Montgomery, David T. “An Investigation into Optimization of Heavy-Duty Diesel Engine Operating Parameters when Using Multiple Injections and EGR” Univ. Wisconsin-Madison 2000
- Tow, T. C. Pierpont, A. Reitz, R. D. “Reducing Particulates and NOx Emissions by Using Multiple Injections in a Heavy Duty D.I. Diesel Engine” SAE Paper 940897 1994
- Pierpont, D. A. Montgomery, D. T. Reitz, R. D. “Reducing Particulate and NOx Using Multiple Injections and EGR in a D.I. Diesel” SAE Paper 950217 1995
- Lee, Taewon Reitz, Rolf D. “Response Surface Method Optimization of a HSDI Diesel Engine Equipped with a Common Rail Injection System” ASME J. Gas Turbine and Power 2002
- Kimura, Shuji et al. “New Combustion Concept for Ultra-Clean and High-Efficiency Small DI Diesel Engines” SAE Paper 1999-01-3681 1999
- Montgomery, Douglas C. “Design and Analysis of Experiments” John Wiley & Sons 0-471-52000-4 1991
- Gardiner, W. P. Gettinby, G. “Experimental Design Techniques in Statistical Practice” Horwood Publishing 1-898563-35-7 1998
- Lorenzen, Thomas J. Anderson Virgil L. “Design of Experiments: A No-Name Approach” Marcel Dekker 0-8247-9077-4 1993
- Box, G. E. P. Hunter, W. G. Hunter, J. S. “Statistics for Experimenters” Wiley 0-471-09315-7 1978
- Wickman, D. D. Senecal, P. K. Reitz, R. D. “Diesel Engine Combustion Chamber Geometry Optimization Using Genetic Algorithms and Multi-Dimensional Spray and Combustion Modeling” SAE Paper 2001-01-0547 2001
- Minami, T. Takeuchi, K. Shimazaki, N. “Reduction of Diesel Engine NOx Using Pilot Injection” SAE Paper 950611 1995
- Zhang, Long “A Study of Pilot Injection in a DI Diesel Engine” SAE Paper 1999-01-3493 1999
- Yamaki, Y. et al. “Application of Common Rail Fuel Injection System to a Heavy Duty Diesel Engine” SAE Paper 942294 1994
- Uchida, N. Shimokawa, K. Kudo, Y. Shimoda, M. “Combustion Optimization by Means of Common Rail Injection System for Heavy-Duty Diesel Engines” SAE Paper 982679 1998
- Corgard, Daniel D. “Effect of Alternative Fuels and Intake Port Geometry on High-Speed, Direct-Injection, Diesel Engine Performance and Emissions” M.S., Univ. Wisconsin-Madison 2000
- Shundoh, S. Kakekawa, T. Tsujimurwa, K. “The Effect of Injection Parameters and Swirl on Diesel Combustion with High Pressure Fuel Injection” SAE Paper 910489 1991