This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
New Integrated “O.P.E.R.A.S.” Strategies for Low Emissions in HSDI Diesel Engines
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 03, 2003 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Integrated control strategies for the O.P.E.R.A.S. (Optimization of injection Pressure, EGR ratio, injection Retard or Advance and Swirl ratio) are demonstrated. The strategies are based on an investigation of combustion and emissions in a small bore, high speed, direct injection diesel engine. The engine is equipped with a common rail injection system and is tested under simulated turbocharged engine conditions at two loads and speeds that represent two key operating points in a medium size HEV vehicle. A new phenomenological model is developed for the fuel distribution in the combustion chamber and the fractions that are injected prior to the development of the flame, injected in the flame or deposited on the walls. The investigation covered the effect of the different operating parameters on the fuel distribution, combustion and engine-out emissions. Illustrations of integrated strategies for O.P.E.R.A.S., that take into consideration the needs of the after-treatment devices, are given.
CitationHenein, N., Singh, I., Zhong, L., Lai, M. et al., "New Integrated “O.P.E.R.A.S.” Strategies for Low Emissions in HSDI Diesel Engines," SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-0261, 2003, https://doi.org/10.4271/2003-01-0261.
Data Sets - Support Documents
In-Cylinder Diesel Particulate and Nox Control 2003
Number: SP-1738 ; Published: 2003-03-03
Number: SP-1738 ; Published: 2003-03-03
- Krieger, R. B., Siewert, R. M., Pinson, J. A., Nicholas E., Gallopoulos, 1997, “Diesel Engine: One Option to Power Future Personal Transportation Vehicle” SAE 972683.
- Needham, J. R., and Whelan, S., 1994, “Meeting the Challenge of Low emissions and Fuel Economy with the Ricardo 4-Vlave high-Speed Direct Injection Engine” J. Automobile, Engineering, Vol. 208, pp. 181-190.
- Nehmer, D. A. and Reitz, R. D., 1994, “Measurement of the Effect of Injection Rate and Split Injections on Diesel Engine Soot and Nox Emissions,” SAE 940668.
- Pierpont, D. A. and Reitz, R. D., 1995, “Effects of Injection Pressure and Nozzle Geometry on DI Diesel Emissions and Performance” SAE 950604.
- Montgomery, D. T. “Six-Model Evaluation of the Effect of EGR and multiple Injections on Particulate and Nox Emissions from a D. I. Diesel Engine,” SAE 960316.
- Shundoh, S., Kakegawa, T., Tsuiimura, K., 1991, “The Effect of Injection Parameters and Swirl on Diesel Combustion with High Pressure Fuel Injection,”, SAE 910489.
- Shundoh, S., Komori, M., Tsujimura, K., and Kobayashi, S., 1992, “Nox Reduction from Diesel Combustion Using Pilot Injection with High Pressure Fuel Injec1ion,” SAE No. 920461
- Bower, G. R., Foster, D. E., 1993, “The Effect of Split Injection on Fuel Distribution in an Engine-Fed Combustion Chamber,” SAE 930864.
- Needham, J., Doyle, D., and Nicol, A., 1991, “The Low Nox Truck Engine”, SAE 910731.
- Herzog, P. Burgler, L., Winklhofer, E., Zelenka, P., and Cartellieri, W., 1992, “NOx Reduction Strategies for DI Engines”, SAE 920470.
- Dürnhoz, M., Eifler, G. and Endres, H. 1992, “Exhaust Gas Recirculation - a Measure to Reduce Exhaust Emissions of DI Diesel Engines”, SAE 920725.
- Kakegawa, T., Suzuki, T., Tsujimura, K., Shimoda, M., 1988, “A study on combustion of high pressure fuel injection for direct injection diesel engine,” SAE 880422.
- Shimada, T., Shoji, T., and Takeda, Y., 1989, “Effect of Fuel Injection Pressure on Diesel Engine Performance”, SAE 891919.
- Miles, P., 2000, “The Influence of Swirl on HSDI Diesel Combustion at Moderate Speed and Load, SAE 2000-01-1829.
- Henein, N. A., Lai, M.-C., Wang, D., Liu, L. and Miles, P., 2000 “Combustion and Emission Characteristics of a Single-Cylinder HSDI Diesel Engine,” Proceedings of the 2000 Technical Meeting of Central State Combustion Institute, pp. 157-162, Indianapolis, April 16-18, 2000.
- Henein, N. A., Lai, M-C., Singh, I., Wang, D., and Lui, L., “Emission Trade-Off and Combustion Characteristics of a High-Speed Direct Injection Diesel Engine,” SAE paper 2001-01-097, SP-1592, 2001.
- Heywood, J. B., “Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals”, McGraw-Hill Inc., 1988.
- Henein, N, A., “Combustion and Emission Formation in fuel Sprays injected in Swirling Air,” SAE 710220, 1971
- Dec, J.E., “A Conceptual Model of D. I. Diesel Combustion Based on Lase-Shet Imaging,” SAE paper 970873, 1997.
- Dec, J. E., and Espey, C.,“Ignition and Early Soot Formation in a Diesel Engine Using Multiple 2-D Imaging Diagnostics,” SAE Transactions, Vol. 104, Sec 3, pp. 853-875, 1995.
- Dec, J. E. and Coy, E.B., “OH Radical Imaging in a DI Diesel Engine and the Structure of the Early Diffusion Flame,” SAE 960831, 1996.
- Naber, J. D. and Siebers, D. L., “Effect of Gas Density and Vaporization on Penetration and Dispersion of Diesel Sprays,” SAE 960034, 1996
- Siebers, D. L., “Scaling Liquid-Phase Fuel Penetration in Diesel Sprays Based on Mixing-Limited Vaporization,” SAE 1999-01-0528, 1999.
- Miles,P., Sick,V.,Megerle,K., Richards,K.,Nagel,Z, Reitz,R., “The Evolution of Flow Structures and Turbulence in a Fired Hsdi Diesel Engine”, SAE paper 2001-01-3501, 2001.
- Wang, T. C. Han, J.-S. Xie, X., Lai, M.-C., and Henein, N. A., 1999, “Direct Visualization of High Pressure Diesel Spray and Engine Combustion,” SAE 1999-01-3496.
- Rakopoulos, C.D. and Hountalas, D.T.,“Development and validation of a 3-D multi-zone combustion model for the prediction of a DI diesel engines performance and pollutants emissions”, SAE Transactions, Journal of Engines, Vol. 107, pp. 1413-1429, 1998.
- Henein, N. A., 1976, “Analysis of Pollutant Formation and Control and Fuel Economy in Diesel Engines,” Prog. Energy Combust. Sci., Vol. 11, pp. 165-207.
- Ishikawa N. and Niimura K., “Analysis of diesel spray structure using magnified photography and PIV”, SAE paper 960770, 1996.
- Han, J-S., Lu, P-H, Xie, X-B., Lai, M-C and Henein, N.A.., “Invstigation of Diesel Spray Primary Break-up and Development for Different Nozzle Geometries,” SAE 2002-01-2775, 2002.
- Stumpp, G., and Ricco, M., 1996 “Common Rail - An Attractive Fuel Injection System for Passenger Car DI Diesel Engines”, SAE 960870.
- Boehner W., and Hummel, K., 1997, “Common rail Injection System for Commercial Diesel Vehicles” SAE 970345.
- Guerrassi N., and Dupraz, P. 1998, “A Common Rail Injection System for High Speed Direct Injection Diesel Engines” SAE 980803.
- Badami, M., Trucco, G., Nuccio, P., 1999, “Influence of Injection Pressure on the Performance of a DI Diesel Engine with a Common Rail Fuel Injection System, SAE 1999-1-0193.
- Schommers, J., Duvinage, F., Stotz, M., Peters, A., Ellwanger, S., Koyanagi K., and Gildein, H., 2000, “Potential of Common Rail Injection System for Passenger Car DI Diesel Engine” SAE 2000-01-0944.
- Henein, N.A.,Lai, M.C., Singh,I.P.,Zhong, L., Han,J., “Characteristics of a common-rail diesel injection system under pilot and post-injection modes”, SAE paper 2002-01-0218, 2002.
- Plee, S.L., Ahmad, T. and Myers, J.P. 1981, “Flame Temperature Correlation for the Effects of Exhaust Gas Recirculation on Diesel Particulate and NOx Emissions”, SAE 811195.
- Richards,K.,J., Subramaniam,M.N., Reitz,R.D., Lai,M-C., Henein N.A., Miles,P.C., “Modeling The Effects Of EGR And Injection Pressure On Emissions In A High- Speed Direct-Injection Diesel Engine”, SAE Paper 2001-01-1004, 2001
- Hotta,Y., Nakakita, K., Fuyuto,T. Inayoshi,M., Fujiwara, K., and Sakata, I., “Cause Of Exhaust Smoke And Its Reduction Methods In An HSDI Diesel Engine Under High-Speed And High-Load Conditions”, SAE Paper 2002-01-1160, 2002.
- Cooper,B.J.,Thoss,J.E. “Role Of NO In Diesel Particulate Emission Control”, SAE Paper 890404, 1989.
- Zelenka P., Michael P., Wolfgang C. “Ways to meet future emission standards with diesel engine powered sport utility vehicles (SUV)” SAE Paper 2000-01-0181
- Zelenka,P., Egert,M., and Cartellieri,W., “Cooled EGR- A Key Technology for Future Efficient HD Diesels”, SAE Paper 980190, 1998.