This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Vehicle and Occupant Kinematics in Low-Speed Override/Underride Collisions
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 03, 2003 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In past years, considerable research has been devoted to occupant response in a variety of low-velocity, bumper-to-bumper impacts. In many crashes, however, the involvement of a braking vehicle or a higher ground clearance vehicle results in an override/underride type crash. The amount of vehicle damage can be significantly greater during such an impact because of the involvement of non-structural components above and below the bumper systems of the involved vehicles.
Ten tests were conducted using five target vehicles, each occupied by an instrumented female driver. Each vehicle was tested in a bumper-to-bumper impact and then an override/underride configuration in increasing severity. An independent body shop estimator was employed to document the damage and prepare repair estimates for each test. In each test the vehicle and occupant accelerations were monitored. A comparison of these data collected is presented herein to provide additional insights into override/underride crashes versus bumper-to-bumper impacts.
CitationFugger, T., Randles, B., Welcher, J., and Szabo, T., "Vehicle and Occupant Kinematics in Low-Speed Override/Underride Collisions," SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-0158, 2003, https://doi.org/10.4271/2003-01-0158.
- Severy, D.M. Mathewson, J.H. Bechtol, C.O. “Controlled Automobile Rear-End Collisions, an Investigation of Related Engineering and Medical Phenomena,” Canadian Services and Medical Journal Nov. 1995
- Severy, D.M. Harrison, M.B. Baird, J.D. “Backrest and Head Restraint Design for Rear-End Collision Protection,” SAE Paper 687009 Jan. 1968
- Thomson, R.W. “An Investigation Into Low Speed Rear Impacts of Automobiles,” University of British Columbia 1990
- Romilly, D.P. Thomson, R.W. Navin, F. MacNabb, M.J. “Low Speed Rear Impacts and the Elastic Properties of Automobiles,” Proceedings, 12 th International Conference of Experimental Safety Vehicles 1989 Gothenburg, Sweden
- Bailey, M.N. King, D.J. Romilly, D.P. Thomson, R.W. “Characterization of Automotive Bumper Components for Low Speed Impacts,” Proceedings of the Canadian Multi-disciplinary Road Safety Conference VII 1991 Vancouver, British Columbia
- Szabo, T.J. Welcher, J. “Dynamics of Low Speed Crash Tests with Energy Absorbing Bumpers,” SAE Paper 921573
- Gabler, H.C. Hollowell, W.T. “The Aggressivity of Light Trucks and Vans in Traffic Crashes,” SAE Paper 980908
- Croteau, J.J. Werner, S.M. Habberstad, J.L. Golliher, J. “Determining Closing Speed in Rear Impact Collisions with Offset and Override,” SAE Paper 2001-01-1170
- Goodwin, V Martin, D. Sackett, R. Schaefer, G. Olson, D. Tencer, A. “Vehicle and Occupant Response in Low Speed Car to Barrier Override Impacts,” SAE Paper 1999-01-0442
- SAE “Surface Vehicle Recommended Practice: (R) Instrumentation for impact test - Part 1 - Electronic instrumentation - SAE J211-1” Society of Automotive Engineers, J211-1 1995
- SAE “Surface Vehicle Information Report: Sign Convention for Crash Testing - SAE J1733” Society of Automotive Engineers, J1733 1994
- “Recommendations Guiding Medical Doctors in Biomedical Research Involving Human Subjects” 41st World Medical Assembly, World Medical Assembly Declaration of Helsinki September 1989
- Szabo, T.J. Welcher, J.B. “Human Subject Responses to Various Acceleration Fields” Low Speed Collision TOPTEC Society of Automotive Engineers Richmond, BC 1996