This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Application of an Imaging-based Diagnostic Technique to Quantify the Fuel Spray Variations in a Direct-Injection Spark-Ignition Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 03, 2003 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper presents an imaging-based diagnostic technique to quantify the pulse-to-pulse variability of macroscopic fuel spray characteristics for Direct-Injection Spark-Ignition (DISI) engine applications. The analysis approach is based on the construction of a spray ensemble image, reflecting the regions of probability of liquid presence for a set of images. Overlaying of an individual spray boundary on the probability-based ensemble image can further enhance the two-dimensional visualization of the pulse-to-pulse spray variations. Spray structures at three experimental conditions were examined: room ambient, and early and late injection conditions inside an optical engine. While the spray structure was observed to be considerably different for the three conditions, the magnitudes of variation of global spray shape and spray tip penetration distance were found to be of similar order.
This methodology is capable of capturing the magnitude of pulse-to-pulse variability in penetration and spray geometry and displaying the variations in a two-dimensional representation. It is a useful diagnostic tool for fuel injector spray evaluation and can be used in support of the fuel injector development and application process for DISI engines.
CitationHung, D., Chmiel, D., and Markle, L., "Application of an Imaging-based Diagnostic Technique to Quantify the Fuel Spray Variations in a Direct-Injection Spark-Ignition Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-0062, 2003, https://doi.org/10.4271/2003-01-0062.
- Zhao, F-Q Lai, M-C. Harrington, D.L. “A review of mixture preparation and combustion control strategies for spark-ignited direct-injection gasoline engines” SAE Technical Paper, No. 970627 1997
- Davis, L.I. Feldkamp, L.A. Hoard, J.W. Yuan, F. Connolly, F.T. Daw, C.S. Green, J.B. “Controlling combustion cyclic variations in lean-fueled spark ignition engines” SAE Technical Paper, No. 2001-01-0257 2001
- Helie, J. Duclos, J-L. Baritaud, T. Boinsot, T. Trovue, A. “Influence of mixture fluctuations on combustion in direct injection spark ignition engines simulations” SAE Technical Paper, No. 2001-01-1226 2001
- Zhao, F. Kadota, T. Takemoto, T. “Temporal and cyclic fluctuation of fuel vapor measurement in a spark ignition engine” SAE Technical Paper, No. 912346 1991
- Wright, J.H. Drallmeier, J.A. “Cyclic variability of pulsed spray vapor fields” Exp. In Fluids 25 329 336 1998
- Nagayama, H. Shimazu, M. Ikeda, Y. Nakajima, T. “Cyclic variation measurements of fuel injection by LDV” Proc. 11 th Internal Combustion Engine Symposium Japan 517 522 1993
- Siebers, D.L. “Liquid-phase fuel penetration in diesel sprays,” SAE Technical Paper, No. 980809 1998
- Schiebl, R. Dreizler, A. Mass, U. “Comparison of different ways for image post-processing: detection of flame fronts” SAE Technical Paper, No. 1999-01-3651 1999
- Hentschel, A. Homburg, A. Ohmstede, G. Muller, T. Grunefeld, G. “Investigation of spray formation of DI gasoline hollow-cone injectors inside a pressure chamber and a glass ring engine by multiple optical techniques” SAE Technical Paper, No. 1999-01-3660 1999
- Hung, D.L.S. Markle, L.E. “Macroscopic spray characterizations of DI gasoline injectors using automatic image analysis” Proc. 12 th ILASS-Americas Indianapolis, IN. 1999
- Grimaldi, C.N. Postrioti, L. Stan, C. Troger, R. “Analysis method for the spray characteristics of a GDI system with high pressure modulation” SAE Technical Paper, No. 2000-01-1043 2000
- Smallwood, G. Deschamps, B. “Flame surface density measurements with PLIF in an SI engine” SAE Technical Paper, No. 962088 1996
- Hung, D.L.S. “An imaging-based analysis tool for evaluating the macroscopic spray variations of a direct injection-gasoline injector” Proc. 15 th ILASS-Americas Madison, WI. 2002
- Russ, J.C. “Thresholding images” J. Computer- Assisted Microscopy 7 3 141 161 1995