This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
54 The Combustion Phenomena Under Corona Discharge Application
Published October 29, 2002 by Society of Automotive Engineers of Japan in Japan
Annotation ability available
In this study, the effect of corona discharge on the combustion phenomenon has been made clear. A homogeneous propane-air mixture was used and six equivalence ratios were tested. For generating the positive and negative corona discharge, a non-uniform electric field was applied to the combustion chamber by the needle to plane gap. One or five needle-shaped electrodes were used to change the corona discharge state. When the positive corona discharge was applied, the luminescence from corona with five electrodes was weak as compared with that of one needle-shaped electrode. When the negative corona discharge was applied, the luminescence from corona and combustion were not affected by the number of electrode. When the positive corona discharge was applied by low voltage, the combustion was improved in the case of one needle-shaped electrode, but the index of combustion with one needle-shaped electrode was almost equal to that of five electrodes when the high voltage was applied.
CitationKADONO, T., YOSHIDA, K., and SHOJI, H., "54 The Combustion Phenomena Under Corona Discharge Application," SAE Technical Paper 2002-32-1823, 2002.
- Jaggers, H. C. von Engel, A. The Effect of Electric Fields on the Burning Velocity of Various Flames Combustion and Flame 16 1971 275 285
- Jones, F. L. Becker, P. M. Heinsohn, R. J. A Mathematical Model of the Opposed-Jet Diffusion Flame: Effect of an Electric Field on Concentration and Temperature Profiles Combustion and Flame 19 1972 351 362
- Han, B. H. Kishi, T. Ujiie, Y. Tsue, M. Kono, M. Effect of DC Electric Field on Knocking Combustion The 15th Internal Combustion Engine Symposium (International) Seoul 1999 401 406
- Kobayashi, T. Uehara, T. Yoshida, K. Shoji, H. Tanaka, H. An Influence of Corona Discharge on Premixed Combustion in Constant Volume Vessel Proceedings of the 4th JSME-KSME Thermal Engineering Conference 2000 3 379 384
- Rao Mittinti, D. N. Dabora, E. K. Plasma Jet Ignition Studies Twentieth Symposium (International) on Combustion 1984 169 17