This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
24 Noise, Emissions and Fuel Economy Investigation on a Small DI Diesel Using Taguchi Methods
Published October 29, 2002 by Society of Automotive Engineers of Japan in Japan
Annotation ability available
To provide optimal performance of a small DI diesel in relation to noise, emissions and fuel economy, an experimental investigation was carried out using Taguchi methods. A single cylinder 3.5 kW diesel was selected for performance test at different engine speeds, loads and static injection timings. These controlled parameters were varied at three levels and the resulting changes in response variables viz. engine noise, smoke, HC, NOx, CO, CO2 emissions and fuel economy (b.s.f.c) were observed. The levels for low noise, smoke, emissions and b.s.f.c could be predicted and relevant combination of controlled parameters specified. Confirmation engine runs were carried out and the results showed good agreement with the predicted optimized quantities of interest based on Taguchi analysis. The effect of engine parameters to the above responses was evaluated in terms of percent contributions by using analysis of variance. Taguchi method of experimental design was found to be more cost-effective for understanding the relationship between diesel engine parameters and noise, emissions and b.s.f.c than full factorial design.
CitationWin, Z., Gakkhar, R., Jain, S., and Bhattacharya, M., "24 Noise, Emissions and Fuel Economy Investigation on a Small DI Diesel Using Taguchi Methods," SAE Technical Paper 2002-32-1793, 2002.
- Hunter C. E. Gardner T. P. Zakrajsek C. E. “Simultaneous Optimization of Diesel Engine Parameters for Low Emissions Using Taguchi Methods” SAE Paper 902075 1990
- Gardner T. P. “Investigation of the Effects of Engine Design Parameters on Diesel Combustion and Emissions Using Taguchi Methods” SAE Paper 920116 1992
- Russell M. F. Young C. D. Nicol S. W. “Modulation of Injection Rate to Improve Direct Injection Diesel Engine Noise” SAE Paper 900349 1990
- Besterfield D. H. Michna C. B. besterfield G. H. Scare M. B. “ Total Quality Management Chapter 14 - Taguchi's Quality Engineering” Prentice Hall 1999
- Ross P. J. “ Taguchi Techniques for Quality Engineering ” McGraw-Hill 1988
- Heywood J. B. “ Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals ” McGraw-Hill 1989
- Russell M. F. “Diesel Engine Noise: Control at Source” SAE paper 820238 1982
- Leipold F. W. Hardenberg H. O. “Noise, Emissions and Performance of the Diesel Engine A Comparison Between DI and IDI Combustion Systems” SAE Paper 750796 1975
- Austen A. E. W. Priede T. “Noise of Automotive Diesel Engines: Its Causes and Reduction” SAE Paper 650165 1965