This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
16 Optimisation of a Stratified Charge Strategy for a Direct Injected Two-Stroke Engine
Published October 29, 2002 by Society of Automotive Engineers of Japan in Japan
Annotation ability available
Direct fuel injection is becoming mandatory in two-stroke S.I. engines, since it prevents one of the major problems of these engines, that is fuel loss from the exhaust port. Another important problem is combustion irregularity at light loads, due to excessive presence of residual gas in the charge, and can be solved by charge stratification.
High-pressure liquid fuel injection is able to control the mixing process inside the cylinder for getting either stratified charge at partial loads or quasi-stoichiometric conditions, as it is required at full load. This paper shows the development of this solution for a small engine for moped and light scooter, using numeric and experimental tools. In order to obtain the best charge characteristics at every load and engine speed, different combustion chambers have been conceived and studied, examining the effects of combustion chamber geometry, together with injector position and injection timing
CitationGENTILI, R., ZANFORLIN, S., FRIGO, S., COZZOLINO, F. et al., "16 Optimisation of a Stratified Charge Strategy for a Direct Injected Two-Stroke Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2002-32-1785, 2002.
- Gentili R. Batoni G. Di Gangi I. “Motore sperimentale a due tempi ad accensione comandata ed iniezione pneumatica” 37 1 1984
- Leighton S. R. Ahern S. R. Southern M. P. Cebis M. J. “ The Orbital Combustion Process for Future Small Two-Stroke Engines ” International Seminar Reuil-Malmaison, France November 29-30 1993
- Gentili R. Frigo S. Tognotti L. “ Development of a Pumpless Air Assisted Injection System for Two-Cycle, S.I. Engines ” SAE Transaction 940397 1994
- Nuti M. Pardini R. “ Twenty Years of Piaggio Direct Injection Research to Mass Production Solution for Small 2T SI Engines ” SAE Paper 980760 1998
- Corcione F. E. Rotondi R. Gentili R. Migliaccio M. “ Modeling the Mixture Formation in a Small Directed-Injected Two-Stroke Spark-Ignition Engine ” SAE Paper 970364
- Morikawa K. Takimoto H. Kaneto T. Ogi T. “ A study of Exhaust Emission Control for Fuel Injection Two-Stroke Engine ” SAE Paper 1999-01-3287 1999
- Gentili R. Frigo S. Zanforlin S. Cozzolino F. “ Two-Stroke GDI: Improvement of Engine Behaviour at Light Loads ” Pro. Int. Conf. ICE 2001 Capri 2001
- Gentili R. Zanforlin S. Frigo S. Cozzolino F. Dell'Orto P “ Numerical and Experimental Study of Direct Injection for Charge Stratification in a 200 CC Two-Stroke Motorcycle Engine ” SAE Paper 2001-01-1785
- Pontoppidan M. Nuti M. Caponi D. de Maio A. Andreassi A. “ Experimental and Numerical Approach to Productionizing a GD!-2 Stroke Spark Ignited Small Displacement Engine Design ” SAE Paper 1999-01-3290 1999
- Payri F. Galindo J. Climent H. Pastor J. M. Gaia C. “ Optimisation of the scavenging and injection processes of an air-assisted direct fuel injection 50 cc. 2-stroke S.I. engine by means of modelling ” SAE Paper 2001-01-1814/4234