This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Light Emission Behavior of Radicals during Preflame Reactions under Knocking Operation
Published October 29, 2002 by Society of Automotive Engineers of Japan in Japan
Annotation ability available
Knocking is one phenomenon that can be cited as a factor impeding efforts to improve the efficiency of spark-ignition engines. With the aim of understanding knocking better, light emission spectroscopy was applied in this study to examine preflame reactions that can be observed prior to autoignition. Light emission intensity was measured at wavelengths of 306.4 nm (characteristic spectrum of OH), 329.8 nm (HCO), 395.2 nm (HCHO). A four-cycle, air-cooled, single-cylinder gasoline engine with a side valve arrangement was used as the test engine. Light emission behavior was simultaneously observed at two positions (the end zone and the center zone) in the combustion chamber. The test fuel used was n-heptane (0 RON). The test engine was operated at three speed levels (1400, 1800 and 2200 rpm). As a result, preflame reactions were observed. It was also observed that the tendencies seen for the preflame reaction interval varied depending on the engine speed.
CitationKASHIWAGI, H., OHARA, H., YOSHIDA, K., and SHOJI, H., "Light Emission Behavior of Radicals during Preflame Reactions under Knocking Operation," SAE Technical Paper 2002-32-1775, 2002.
- Livengood, J.C. Taylor, C.F. Wu, “P.C.Correlation of Autoignition Phenomena in Internal Combustion Machines and Rapid Compression Machines” 5 th Symposium (International) on Combustion 1954
- Shoji, H. Saima, A. Sasao, T. “The Behavior of Radical Luminescence Intensity in a Spark Ignition Engine” JSAE Review 13 1 4 19 1992
- Shoji, H. Saima, A. Sasao, T. “Clarification of the Combustion Reaction Mechanism in a Spark Ignition Engine by Spectroscopic Analysis” JSAE Review 13 2 4 9 1992
- Shoji, H. Shimizu, T. Saima, A. “Spectroscopic Measurement of Radical Behavior Under Knocking Operation” SAE Paper 962104 1996
- Ohta, Y. Furutani, M. Komatu, K. “Onset Behavior of Low-Temperature Autoignition Caused by Piston Compression” The proceeding of the 10th Internal Combustion Engine Symposium 265 270 1992
- Furutani, M. Ohta, Y. “A Novel Method of Eliminating Piston-Compression Ignition” Transaction of JSME 60 571B 1074 1079 1994
- Ohara, H. Ogawa, J. Yoshida, K. Shoji, H. Saima, A. “An Analysis of Light Emission Intensity Behavior Corresponding to Intermediate Products in Different Places of the Combustion Chamber” Paper No.2001 01 1882
- Tosaka, Y. Shoji, H. Saima, A. “A study of the influence of intermediate combustion products on knocking” JSAE Review 9533460 19 3 1995