This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Analysis of Mixture Formation Process in a Reverse Uniflow-Type Two-Stroke Gasoline DI Engine
Published October 29, 2002 by Society of Automotive Engineers of Japan in Japan
Annotation ability available
A reverse uniflow-type two-stroke gasoline direct injection engine, which has potentials of high power weight ratio, high thermal efficiency and low exhaust gas emissions, has been developed and tested. In this study, one of the features of this engine: very low cycle-to-cycle combustion variation at idling condition, is focused to clarify the reasons. To achieve this, a transparent cylinder model engine was designed and built to visualize the in-cylinder mixture formation process, and the free spray characteristics of a swirl-type injector were examined using a large chamber with changing the injection pressure, environmental gas pressure, and the gas temperature. As a result, the reasons of stable idling operation were deduced.
CitationMORIYOSHI, Y., MORIKAWA, K., and TAKIMOTO, H., "Analysis of Mixture Formation Process in a Reverse Uniflow-Type Two-Stroke Gasoline DI Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2002-32-1774, 2002.
- Moriyoshi, Y. Kikuchi, K. Morikawa, K. Takimoto, H. “Numerical Analysis of Mixture Preparation in a Reverse Uniflow-Type Two-Stroke Gasoline DI Engine” SAE Paper No. 2001-01-1815
- Morikawa, K. Takimoto H. Moriyoshi, Y. Kikuchi K. Naitoh, T. “Development and Evaluation of a Reverse Uniflow-Type Two-Stroke Gasoline DI Engine” SAE Paper No. 2001-01-1839
- Ishibashi, Y. “Basic Understanding of Activated Radical Combustion and Its Two-Stroke Engine Application and Benefits” SAE Paper No. 2000-01-1836
- Duret, P. Dabadie, J. Lavy, J. Allen, J. Bludell, D. Oscarsson, J. Emanuelsson, G. “The Air Assisted Direct Injection ELEVATE Automotive Engine Combustion System” SAE Paper No. 2000-01-1899
- Kamimoto, T. Yagita, M. Moriyoshi Y. Kobayashi, H. “An Experimental Study of In-Cylinder Air Flow with a Transparent Cylinder Engine” JSME Int. J. Ser. 2 31 1 1988 150
- Moriyoshi, Y. Mori, K. Morikawa, K. Takimoto, H. “Mixture Formation Analysis of a Schnurle-Type Two-Stroke Gasoline DI Engine” SAE Paper No. 2001-01-1091
- Kume, T. Iwamoto, Y. Iida, K. Akishino K. Ando, H. SAE Paper No. 960600