This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Comparison of EuroSID-2 and SID-IIs in Vehicle Side Impact Tests with the IIHS Barrier
Published November 11, 2002 by The Stapp Association in United States
Annotation ability available
The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) has recently developed and evaluated a new side impact barrier to represent the front profile of pickup trucks and sport utility vehicles for a new consumer information program. In the development of this program, two dummies were considered for assessing driver injury risk in side-struck vehicles: EuroSID-2 (50th percentile male dummy) and SID-IIs (5th percentile female dummy). The purpose of this study was to compare injury responses and kinematics for these two dummies in side impact crash tests. The findings suggest that SID-IIs will be more effective in driving relevant improvements in side impact crash protection.
CitationArbelaez, R., Nolan, J., Dakin, G., and Lund, A., "Comparison of EuroSID-2 and SID-IIs in Vehicle Side Impact Tests with the IIHS Barrier," SAE Technical Paper 2002-22-0019, 2002, https://doi.org/10.4271/2002-22-0019.
- Alliance of Automobile Manufacturers 1999 Dummy response limits for FMVSS 208 compliance testing, Annex 2 of a submission to SNPRM Docket No. NHTSA 99-6407 December 22 1999
- Arbelaez R.A. Dakin G.J. Nolan J.M. Dalmotas D.J. Tylko S. 2002 IIHS side impact barrier: Development and crash test experience Proceedings of the 2002 Vehicle Safety Conference May 2002 Institution of Mechanical Engineers London, England
- Augenstein J. Bowen J. Perdeck E. Singer M. Stratton J. Horton T. Rao A. Digges K. Malliaris A. Steps J. 2000 Injury patterns in near-side collisions SAE 2000-01-0634 ). Side Impact Collision Research (SP-1518) 11 18 Society of Automotive Engineers Warrendale, PA
- Automotive News (1993) 1993 Market Data Book 26 Crain Communications, Inc.
- Automotive News (2002) 2002 Market Data Book http://www.autonews.com Crain Communications, Inc.
- Bouquet R. Ramet M. Bermond F. Talantikite Y. Robin S. Voiglio E. 1998 Pelvis human response to lateral impact SAE 986162 Proc. 16th International Technical Conference on the Enhanced Safety of Vehicles U.S. Department of Transportation, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration May 1998
- Zhu J.Y. Cavanaugh J.M. King A.I. 1993 Pelvic biomechanical response and padding benefits in side impact based on a cadaveric test series Paper No. 933128 Proc. 37th Stapp Car Crash Conference 199 221 Society of Automotive Engineers Warrendale, PA
- Cesari D. Ramet M. 1982 Pelvic tolerance and protection criteria in side impact Paper No. 821159 Proc. 26th Stapp Car Crash Conference 145 154 Society of Automotive Engineers Warrendale, PA
- Dakin G.J. Hatchett M.T. Arbelaez R.A. 2001 Potential problem with acetabulum load cell in SID-IIs dummy Insurance Institute for Highway Safety September 2001
- Eppinger R.H. Marcus J.H. Morgan R.M. 1984 Development of dummy and injury index for NHTSA's thoracic side impact protection research program SAE 840885 Government/Industry Meeting and Exposition Washington, D.C.
- European Enhanced Vehicle Safety Committee 2001 Development and evaluation of the ES-2 dummy WG12 report August 2001 http://www.eevc.org
- Eurpean New Car Assessment Program 2002 Assessment protocol and biomechanical limits. Version 3.1 1 January 2002
- Hopton J.R. Payne A.R. 1996 Comparison study of EuroSID, USSID, BioSID performance using MIRA's new M-SIS side impact simulation technique SAE 960103 ). Technologies for Occupant Protection Assessment (SP-1174) 53 59 Society of Automotive Engineers Warrendale, PA
- Insurance Institute for Highway Safety 2002 Guidelines for Using the UMTRI ATD Positioning Procedure for Dummy and Seat Positioning
- Kirkish S.L. Hultman R.W. Scherer R.D. Daniel R.P. Rouhana S. Nusholtz G. Athey J. Balser J. Irwin A. Mertz H. Kneisly A. Eichbrecht P. Salloum M. 1996 Status of prove-out testing of the SID-IIs alpha-prototype 96-S10-O-15 Proc. 15th International Technical Conference on the Enhanced Safety of Vehicles 1690 1716 National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Washington, DC
- Maltese M.R. Samaha R.R. Eppinger R.H. Strassburg G. 1999 Response of EuroSID-1 thorax to lateral impact 1999-01-0709 SAE International Congress and Exposition Society of Automotive Engineers Warrendale, PA
- Mertz H.J. Prasad P. Irwin A.L. 1997 Injury risk curves for children and adults in frontal and rear collisions Paper No. 973318 Proc. 41st Stapp Car Crash Conference 13 30 Society of Automotive Engineers Warrendale, PA
- Mertz H.J. Prasad P. 2000 Improved neck injury risk curves for tension and extension moment measurements of crash dummies Paper No. 2000-01-SC05 ). Stapp Car Crash Journal 44 November 2000 59 75 Society of Automotive Engineers Warrendale, PA
- Nolan J.M. Powell M.R. Preuss C.A. Lund A.K. 1999 Factors contributing to front-side compatibility: a comparison of crash test results Paper No. 99SC02 Proc. 43rd Stapp Car Crash Conference 13 30 Society of Automotive Engineers Warrendale, PA
- NHTSA NCAP 2002 New Car Assessment Program http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/ncap/ U.S. Department of Transportation, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration
- Pintar F.A. Yoganandan N. Hines M.H. Maltese M.R. McFadden J. Saul R. Eppinger R. Khaewpong N. Kleinberger M. 1997 Chestband analysis of human tolerance to side impact Paper No. 973320 Proc. 41st Stapp Car Crash Conference 63 74 Society of Automotive Engineers Warrendale, PA
- R.L. Polk & Co. 2001 National vehicle population profile database Southfield, MI
- Rattenbury S.J. Gloyns P.F. Nolan J.M. 2001 Vehicle deformation in real-world side impact crashes and regulatory crash tests Proc. 17th International Technical Conference on the Enhanced Safety of Vehicles U.S. Department of Transportation, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration June 2001
- Reed M.P. Manary M.A. Flannagan C.A.C. Schneider L.W. Arbelaez R.A. 2001 Improved ATD positioning procedure SAE Technical Paper Series 2001-01-0118 Warrendale, PA Society of Automotive Engineers
- Scherer R.D. Kirkish S.L. McCleary J.P. Rouhana S.W. Athey J.B. Balser J.S. Hultman R.W. Mertz H.J. Berliner J.M. Xu L. Kostyniuk G.W. Salloum M. Wang Z. Morgan C.R. 1998 SID-IIs Beta + -prototype dummy biomechanical responses Paper No. 983151 Proc. 42nd Stapp Car Crash Conference 89 114 Society of Automotive Engineers Warrendale, PA
- Side Airbag Out-of-Position Injury Technical Working Group AAM AIAM AORC IIHS 2000 Recommended proceedures for evaluating occupant injury risk from deploying side airbags August 8 2000
- Thomas P. Frampton R. 1999 Injury patterns in side collisions –A new look with reference to current test methods and injury criteria Paper No. 99SC01 Proceedings of the 43rd Stapp Car Crash Conference 1 12 Society of Automotive Engineers Warrendale, PA
- Viano D.C. 1991 Evaluation of armrest loading in side impacts Paper No. 912899 Proc. 35th Stapp Car Crash Conference 145 162 Society of Automotive Engineers Warrendale, PA
- Viano D.C. Fan A. Ueno K. Walilko T. Cavanaugh J. King A. 1995 Biofidelity and Injury Assessment in Eurosid I and Biosid Paper No. 952731 Proc. 39nd Stapp Car Crash Conference 307 325 Society of Automotive Engineers Warrendale, PA
- Zaouk A.K. Eigen A.M. Digges K.H. 2001 Occupant injury patterns in side crashes SAE 2001-01-0723 ). Side Impact, Rear Impact, and Rollover (SP-1616) 77 81 Society of Automotive Engineers Warrendale, PA