This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Comparison of Hybrid III, Thor-α and PMHS Response in Frontal Sled Tests
Published November 11, 2002 by The Stapp Association in United States
Annotation ability available
Two series of nine frontal sled tests were conducted to evaluate the behavior of the Hybrid III and Thor-α dummies. The first series was conducted at 50 kph with airbag and 4 kN force-limited shoulder belt and the second series at 30 kph and only a 4 kN force-limited shoulder belt. In each series, three replicate tests were conducted with each dummy and compared with three PMHS. The data provided by the same instrumentation located at the same position were compared to assess the biofidelity of both dummies. The results were mass scaled in order to account for the differences between the anthropometry of the cadaver. The good test-to-test repeatability for each dummy permitted to compare the mean value of each recorded parameter. Based on the cadaver response, the results show that the Thor-α provides responses that are more similar to those of PMHS than the Hybrid III. The flexible joints in the thoracic spine, the sternum design and the more humanlike ribcage give more similar accelerations than the Hybrid III as compared to those of the PMHS. Nevertheless, some parts have to be improved in order to better follow the behavior of the human subject. The head-neck complex, the chest, the shoulder and the pelvis of the Thor-α have a more humanlike behavior but some differences remain. The distribution of the deceleration between the components is sometimes different compared to those of the cadaver, even if the resultants are similar. The dummies and most particularly the Hybrid III are less sensitive to the change in restraint systems and tests conditions than a cadaver.
- Philippe Vezin - INRETS – Institut National de Recherche sur les Transports et leur Sécurité; LBMC – Laboratoire de Biomécanique et de Mécanique des Chocs, Bron, France
- Karine Bruyere-Garnier - INRETS – Institut National de Recherche sur les Transports et leur Sécurité; LBMC – Laboratoire de Biomécanique et de Mécanique des Chocs, Bron, France
- François Bermond - INRETS – Institut National de Recherche sur les Transports et leur Sécurité; LBMC – Laboratoire de Biomécanique et de Mécanique des Chocs, Bron, France
- Jean Pierre Verriest - INRETS – Institut National de Recherche sur les Transports et leur Sécurité; LBMC – Laboratoire de Biomécanique et de Mécanique des Chocs, Bron, France
CitationVezin, P., Bruyere-Garnier, K., Bermond, F., and Verriest, J., "Comparison of Hybrid III, Thor-α and PMHS Response in Frontal Sled Tests," SAE Technical Paper 2002-22-0001, 2002, https://doi.org/10.4271/2002-22-0001.
- ADRIA Partners 2000 Advanced crash Dummy Research for Injury Assessment in frontal test conditions PL96-1074, Final report
- Avela J. Kyrölainen H. Komi P.V. Rama D. 1999 Reduced reflex sensitivity persists several days after long-lasting stretch-shortening cycle exercise J. Appl. Physiol. 86 1292 1300
- Beier G. Schuller E. Schuck M Ewing C.L. Becker E.D. Thomas D.J. 1980 Center of gravity and moments of inertia of human heads 5th International IRCOBI conference 218 228
- Bruyere K. Bermond F. Bouquet R. Caire Y. Ramet M. Voiglio E. 2001 Human Maxilla Bone Response to 30° Oriented Impacts and Comparison with Frontal Bone Impacts 44th Annual Scientific Conference of the AAAM 219 234 Chicago, Illinois
- Crandall J.R. Bass C.R. Pilkey W.D. Miller H.J. Sikorski J. Wilkins M. 1997 Thoracic response and injury with belt, driver side airbag, and force limited belt restraint system The International Journal of Crashworthiness 2 1 119 132 Woodhead Publishing Ltd.
- Devers G. 2001 Juridical statute of the human deceased corpse in France, Workshop on Ethical Guidelines in Biomechanical Testing European Passive Safety Network 94 100 INRETS Bron France
- DeVita P. Skolty W.I. 1992 Effect of landing stiffness on joint kinetics and energetics in the lower extremity Med. Sci. Sports Exerc 24 1 108 115
- Eppinger R.H. Marcus J.H. Morgan R.M. 1984 Development of Dummy and Injury Index for NHTSA's Thoracic Side Impact Protection Research Program SAE Publication N° 840885 Government/Industry Meeting and Exposition Washington, D.C
- Faverjon G. Foret-Bruno J.Y. Got C. Morvan Y. Lepage M. Portier L. Thomas C. Vallee H. 1994 Abbreviated Injury Scale - 1990 Revision abbreviated impairment scale - 1994 Revision French translation
- Got C. 2001 Ethical issues in the use of cadavers for impact tests, Proc. Workshop on Ethical Guidelines in Biomechanical Testing European Passive Safety Network 31 35 INRETS Bron France
- Horsch J.D. Melvin J.W. Viano D.C. Merz H.J. 1991 Thoracic injury assessment of belt restraint systems based on Hybrid III chest compression Proc. 35th Stapp Car Crash Conference N° 912895 85 108 Society of Automotive engineers Warendale, PA
- Ito M. Ono K. Kanno Y. Haffner M. Rangarajan N. Shams T. 1998 Evaluation of the Thor dummy prototype performance in HYGE sled tests Proc. 16th ESV Conference
- Kallieris D. Rizzetti A. Mattern R. Morgan R. Eppinger R. Keenan L. 1995 On the synergism of the driver air bag and the 3-point belt in frontal crashes Proc. 39th Stapp Car Crash Conference N° 952700 389 401 Society of Automotive engineers Warendale, PA
- Kallieris D. 2001 University of Heidelberg Germany Personal communication
- Kent R.W. Crandall J.R. Bolton J.R. Duma S.M. 2000 Driver and right-front passenger restraint system interaction, injury potential, and thorac injury prediction 44th Annual Scientific Conference of the AAAM 261 282 Chicago, Illinois
- Kent R. Bolton J. Crandall J.R. Prasad P. Nusholtz G. Mertz H. Kallieris D. 2001 Restrained Hybrid III dummy-based criteria for thoracic hard-tissue injury prediction Proc. IRCOBI Conference 215 232 Isle of Man, UK
- King A. Viano D.C. Mizeres N. States J.D. 1995 Humanitarian benefits of cadaver research on injury prevention The journal of Trauma: Injury, Infection and Critical Care 38 4 564 569
- Klopp G.S. Crandall J.R. Sieveka E. Pilkey W.D. 1995 Simulation of muscle tensing in pre-impact bracing Proc. IRCOBI Conference 171 182 Brunnen, Switzerland
- Komi P.V. Nicol C. 2000 Stretch-shortening cycle of muscle function, Biomechanics in Sport The Encyclopedia of Sports Medicine Blackwell Science Ltd. Ziatsiorsky V. 87 102
- Kuppa S.M. Eppinger R.H. 1998 Development of an improved thoracic injury criterion Proc. 42nd Stapp Car Crash Conference N° 983153 139 153 Society of Automotive engineers Warendale, PA
- Lake M.J. Lafortune M.A.L. 1998 Mechanical inputs related to perception of lower extremity impact loading severity Med. Sci. Sports Exerc. 30 1 136 148
- Martinez L. Lasaga C. Garcia M. 1999 An advanced 50 th percentile Thor dummy database Proc. IRCOBI Conference 405 421 SITGES Barcelona, Spain
- Oudenard L. Bendjellal F. Bellini A. Uriot J. 1991 The use of a Multi-accelerometric method in automotive safety tests 862 871 Proc. 13th ESV Conference Paris
- Rangarajan N. White R. Shams T. Beach D. Fulerton J. Haffner M. Dalmotas D. Fournier E. 1998 Design and performance of the Thor advanced frontal crash test dummy thorax and abdomen assemblies Proc. 16th ESV Conference
- Schneider L.W. King A.I. Beebe M.S. 1989 Design Requirements and Specifications: Thorax-Abdomen Development Task. Interim Report. Trauma Assessment Device Development Program Report No. DOT-HS-807-511/UMTRI-89-20 U.S. Department of Transportation, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Washington, D.C.
- Schneider L.W. Ricci L.L. Salloum M.J. Beebe M.S. King A.I. Rouhana S.W. Neathery R.F. 1994 Design and Development of an Advanced ATD Thorax System for Frontal Crash Environments, Volume 1: Primary Concept Development Report No. DOT-HS-808-138 National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Washington, D.C.
- Shaw G. Crandall J. Butcher J. 2002 Comparative evaluation of the Thor advanced frontal crash test dummy The International Journal of Crashworthiness 7 3 239 253 Woodhead Publishing Ltd.
- Shaw G. Kent R. Sieveka E. Crandall J. 2001 Spinal kinematics of restrained occupants in frontal impacts Proc. IRCOBI Conference 241 253 Isle of Man, UK
- Vezin P. Bruyere-Garnier K. Bermond F. 2001 Comparison of head and thorax cadaver and Hybrid III responses to a frontal sled deceleration for the validation of a car occupant mathematical model Proc. 17th ESV Conference Amsterdam, The Netherlands
- Vezin P. Bruyere-Garnier K. Bermond F. 2002 Human Response to a Frontal Sled Deceleration IRCOBI Conference 323 337 Munich, Germany