This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Analysis of the Transmissibility of the Rear Suspension of a Mini-Baja Vehicle
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published November 19, 2002 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This work presents a dynamical analysis of the transmissibility of an off-road vehicle rear suspension, which was developed in CEFET-RJ for the Mini-Baja / SAE-Brazil competition. A finite element model was developed to identify the critical points of the structure. Afterwards, electric strain gages were bonded at the most critical points to measure the dynamic strains due to an impact load. Accelerometers were bonded before and after rear suspension system to measure the main transmissibility characteristics of the suspension. The data obtained through an A/D converter with instrumentation software was used to evaluate the transmissibility of the rear suspension and other important dynamic characteristics. Finally, a simple two-degree of freedom model was developed to study the behavior of the rear suspension and the influence of the main parameters in the transmissibility of accelerations and loads to the structure. An estimate for an optimal suspension adjustment was obtained with this simple model. The results obtained with this methodology indicates that it can be used as an effective tool for the design and improvement for Mini-Baja vehicle, as the designer can work with more realistic loads.
CitationPacheco, P., Kenedi, P., Vieira, R., Jorge, J. et al., "Analysis of the Transmissibility of the Rear Suspension of a Mini-Baja Vehicle," SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-3506, 2002, https://doi.org/10.4271/2002-01-3506.
- Kenedi, P.P. Pacheco, P.M.C.L. Jorge, J.C.F. Vieira, R.D. Danninger, W. Dynamic Experimental Analysis of a Mini-Baja Vehicle Front Suspension”, SAE2001 - 10º Congresso e Exposição Internacionais de Tecnologia da Mobilidade - SAE São Paulo 2001
- Jorge, J.C.F. Danninger, W. “ CAPES/DAAD Cooperation Project - Automotive Measurements Laboratory ” CEFET-RJ Fachhochschule München 2001
- Blank, M. Kunze, A. Wolf, M. “ Project Mini-Baja 2001 ” CEFET-RJ Fachhochschule München 2001
- ANSYS “ Ansys Reference Manual ” ANSYS, Inc. 2001
- Autodesk “ Mechanical Desktop Reference ” Autodesk 1999
- Dally, J.W. Riley, W.F. “ Experimental Stress Analysis ” McGraw-Hill 1978
- Lynx “ Signal Conditioning Module LYNX AI-2160 - User Guide ” 1996
- Lynx “ A/D Conversion Module LYNX AC-2120 - User Guide ” 1996
- Juvinal, C.R. “ Fundamentals of Machine Component Design ” John Wiley & Sons 1983
- Uchoa, F.B. Kramer, C.J.G. Araújo, R.N. Chaves, E.A. “ Structural Analysis of an Urban Micro-Bus ” Department of Industrial Mechanical Engineering, CEFET-RJ 1997
- Soares, M.R.L. “ Structural Dynamic Analysis of a Sport Vehicle ” Department of Industrial Mechanical Engineering, CEFET-RJ 2000
- Jancar, D. Yokoyama, E. “ Finite Element Analysis of a Medium Size Truck ” SAE-Brasil Congress 1993
- Meirovitch, L. “ Elements of Vibration Analysis ” McGraww-Hill 1975
- Nakamura, S. “ Applied Numerical Methods in C ” Prentice-Hall 1993
- Gobbi, M. Mastinu, G. “Analytical Description and Optimization of the Dynamic Behaviour of Passively Suspended Road Vehicles” Journal of Sound and Vibration 245 3 457 481 2001