This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Optimization of a Clutch Disc Torsional Damping System Design
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published November 19, 2002 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
During the development of a new clutch disc damping system and after three months of hard work the engineering team got stuck with unsatisfactory system performance (rattle noise), despite the help of a computer simulation software. The only alternative seemed to be using a more expensive damping concept but, besides the fact that there wasn't much development time left, that option would increase part cost by unacceptable US$ 200, plus development cost. The team then decided to try Taguchi's Robust Engineering optimization approach for the first time. In just two weeks the authors got a 4.6 dB gain on the signal-to-noise ratio. That allowed us to keep the initially proposed system, thus avoiding the cost increase. Besides, the authors were able to keep the development schedule on track. And perhaps even more important, the authors can now more effectively apply our engineering knowledge and make a better use of the computer simulator, which results in a faster and more reliable development process.
- Claudio Cerone - Automotive Products do Brasil Ltda.
- Demetrio Vettorazzo Neto - Fiat-GM Powertrain do Brasil Ltda.
- Edson Luciano Duque - Fiat-GM Powertrain do Brasil Ltda.
- Luiz Henrique Riedel - General Motors do Brasil Ltda.
- Ricardo Osias Horowitz - General Motors do Brasil Ltda.
- José Rubens C. Almeida - Luk do Brasil Embreagens Ltda.
CitationCerone, C., Neto, D., Duque, E., Riedel, L. et al., "Optimization of a Clutch Disc Torsional Damping System Design," SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-3389, 2002, https://doi.org/10.4271/2002-01-3389.
- LUK GMBH & CO. 4th Luk Symposium 1990: comfort and economy. Bühl/Baden: 1994;
- LUK GMBH & CO. 5th Luk Symposium 1994: comfort and economy. Bühl/Baden: 1994;
- DREXL, H. J. Motor vehicle clutches: function and design. 2nd ed. Landsberg/Lech: 1999;
- SHAVER, R. Manual transmission clutch system. Warrendale: SAE, 1997;
- AMERICAN SUPPLIER INSTITUTE. Robust design using Taguchi Methods. Livonia: ASI, 1998.