This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Handling Analysis of a Three-Axle Intercity Bus
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published November 19, 2002 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper describes the methodology adopted at T-Systems do Brasil, for performing handling analysis of commercial vehicles. Its application to an intercity bus with 3 axles is presented. The objective is to improve primary suspension characteristics alone, with respect to both comfort and handling and to study the behavior of the full vehicle with respect to handling and to improve it through the changes of primary suspensions characteristics. The methodology adopted was the development of a complete multibody model of the bus (Figure 4) in ADAMS, considering all the major non-linearities of the actual vehicle, such as air spring and shock absorber curves, suspension bump stops and tire model (Delft). Once having the model, several analyses were carried out including, modal, single lane change, double lane change, steering impulse and sine steering sweep. The results of these analyses were evaluated and modifications to the design were suggested in order to achieve the objectives of this work (to improve the primary suspension characteristics and also the handling behavior of the full vehicle). These modifications were implemented at a physical prototype and measurements have not been carried out yet. However, qualitative impression (not yet quantitative results), indicates an improvement in overall vehicle handling behavior.
|Technical Paper||Aspects on Roll and Bounce Damping for Heavy Vehicles|
|Technical Paper||Brake Vibrations in Trucks|
- Rodivaldo Henrique da Cunha - T-Systems do Brasil Ltda.
- Álvaro Costa Neto - T-Systems do Brasil Ltda.
- Marcelo Prado - T-Systems do Brasil Ltda.
- Daniel M. Spinelli - DaimlerChrysler do Brasil
- Roberto A. Moita - DaimlerChrysler do Brasil
- José R. Lourenço - DaimlerChrysler do Brasil
- Válter Vargas - Suspensys
Citationda Cunha, R., Neto, Á., Prado, M., Spinelli, D. et al., "Handling Analysis of a Three-Axle Intercity Bus," SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-3382, 2002, https://doi.org/10.4271/2002-01-3382.
- Delft-Tyre MF-Tyre User Manual July 1996
- Gillespie, Thomas D. Fundamentals of Vehicle Dynamics Society of Automotive Engineers 1992
- SAE International New Development in Vehicle Dynamics, Simulation and Suspension Systems Society of Automotive Engineers 1995
- Reimpell & Stoll The Automotive Chassis: Engineering Principles SAE 1996
- Bastow & Howard Car Suspension and Handling SAE 1993
- SAE International Roll Stability Dynamics, Ride, and Handling Society of Automotive Engineers 1999