This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Kinetic Energies Involved in Racing Facility Design
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published December 02, 2002 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The various forms of professional and amateur motor sports all require barriers, fences and deceleration/run-off areas for driver and spectator safety. We examine the translational and rotational kinetic energies involved for various types of race vehicles, and present some comparisons to typical energies encountered in everyday situations. Stopping distance vs. deceleration rates are also calculated, and some simplified trajectory analyses are performed for parts potentially launched during racing accidents.
|Technical Paper||Elementary Analysis of Race Circuit Barrier Placement|
|Technical Paper||A Technique for Slowing Racing Cars After Off-Road Excursions: The Vehicle Arrester|
|Technical Paper||Impact Attenuation Devices for Racing
CitationMetz, L., "Kinetic Energies Involved in Racing Facility Design," SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-3344, 2002, https://doi.org/10.4271/2002-01-3344.
- Garrott, W. R. Chrstos, J. P. Vehicle Dynamics Terminology, SAE Recommended Practice No. J670e (various dates)
- Garrott, W. R. Chrstos, J. P. Vehicle Inertial Parameters - Measured Values and Approximations SAE Paper No. 881767 1988
- Metz, L. D. et al Moments of Inertia of Mounted and Unmounted Passenger Car and Motorcycle Tires SAE Paper No. 900760 1990
- Kasprzak, E. M. Elementary Analysis of Race Circuit Barrier Placement SAE Paper No. 2000-01-3575 2000
- Metz, L. D. Metz, L. G. A Technique for Slowing Racing Cars After Off-Road Excursions: The Vehicle Arrester SAE Paper No. 2000-01-3574 2000
- Wright, P. G. Technical Advisor, Federation Internationale de L‘automobile (FIA), 8 bis, Rue Boissy d’Anglais, 75008 Paris Personal Conversation with the Author 2001
- Whiting, C. Formula One Race Director and Safety Delegate, Federation Internationale de L‘automobile (FIA), 8 bis, Rue Boissy d’Anglais, 75008 Paris Personal Conversation with the Author 2001
- Corcelle, F. Wright, P.G. Circuit and Safety Analysis System SAE Paper No. 2000-01-3573 2000
- Gadd, C. W. Use of a Weighted-Impulse Criterion for Estimating Injury Hazard Proc. X Stapp Car Crash Conference, SAE Paper No. 660793 (9166)
- Lissner, H. R. Experimental Studies on the Relationship Between Acceleration and Intercranial Pressure Changes in Man J. Surgery, Gynecology & Obstetrics 329 338 September 1960
- Eiband, A. Human Tolerance to Rapidly Applied Accelerations: A Summary of the Literature NASA Memorandum 5/19/59E 1959
- Wright, P.G. The Analysis of Accident Data Recorder (ADR) Data in Formula One SAE Paper No. 2000-01-3551 2000
- Forbes, K. E. Metz, L. D. Protection of Drivers and Spectators from Pit Entrance Injuries Incurred During Loss-of-Control Accidents SAE Paper No. 942468 1994