This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Mathematical Modeling of Crash-Induced Dynamic Loads on Race Car Drivers
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published December 02, 2002 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A MADYMO model of a racing car and driver was driven by 3-D accelerations recorded in actual crashes. Helmet, belt restraint, and padding characteristics were obtained from dynamics tests. Model results of HIC, head accelerations and neck forces and moments were studied along with driver injuries to provide insight into the efficacy of current injury assessment parameters used with the head and neck of crash test dummies. The results are also used to discuss the kinematics performance of the crash test dummy neck as modeled by the MADYMO version of the Hybrid III midsize male crash test dummy.
CitationBegeman, P. and Melvin, J., "Mathematical Modeling of Crash-Induced Dynamic Loads on Race Car Drivers," SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-3305, 2002, https://doi.org/10.4271/2002-01-3305.
- Andrzejak D.V. Baron K.J. Roegner J. 1994 “Anthropometry of Indy Car Drivers” 1994 Motorsports Engineering Conference Proceedings 1 Vehicle Design Issues, Society of Automotive Engineers, P-287 December 1994 367 379 SAE 942547
- Margulies S.S. Thibault L.E. Gennarelli T.A. “Physical model simulations of brain injury in the primate” J Biomechanics 23 823 836 1990
- Melvin J.W. Little W.C. Jedrzejczak E.A. Pierce J. “Racing Car Restraint System Frontal Crash Performance Testing” 1994 Motorsports Engineering Conference Proceedings 1 Vehicle Design Issues, Society of Automotive Engineers, P-287 December 1994 73 80 SAE 942482
- Melvin J.W. Baron K.J. Little W.C. Gideon T.W. Pierce J. “Biomechanical Analysis of Indy Race Car Crashes” Proceedings of the 42nd Stapp Car Crash Conference Society of Automotive Engineers November 1998 247 266 SAE 983161
- Mertz H.J. “Anthropomorphic Test Devices” Accidental Injury – Biomechanics and Prevention Springer-Verlag 1993
- Weerappuli D.P.V. Sin D.Z. Stanecki P. 1998 “Predicting the Response of a CART Car Driver in a Crash Using Mathematical Modeling” Motorsports Engineering Conference Proceedings 1 Vehicle Design and Safety Issues, Society of Automotive Engineers, P-340/1 223 231 SAE 983069