This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Lithiated Transition Metal Oxide Cathodes in Molten Nitrate Electrolytes for Lithium Thermal Batteries
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 29, 2002 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: Power Systems Conference
A study of transition metal oxide cathodes to replace the iron disulfide used in thermal batteries was conducted at Saft ABSD in Cockeysville, MD. The goal was to identify cathode materials yielding higher voltage and improvements in energy density. Selected materials were evaluated versus lithium immobilized by iron powder (LAN) anodes in molten nitrate electrolytes. Single cells were tested between heated platens inside an argon atmosphere glove box over the temperature range of 240°C to 425°C. The best cathode material tested was lithiated manganese dioxide, LiMn2O4. After extensive experimentation, we were able to achieve a peak voltage of 2.8 V under a load of 200 ma/cm2 and a two-plateau voltage discharge yielding 221 Wh/kg at 260°C. This exceeds the specific energy of state-of-the-art cells with iron disulfide.
CitationBriscoe, J. and Castro, L., "Lithiated Transition Metal Oxide Cathodes in Molten Nitrate Electrolytes for Lithium Thermal Batteries," SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-3245, 2002, https://doi.org/10.4271/2002-01-3245.
- Embrey J.M., Bolster M.E., Thermal Battery for a Space Based Interceptor Rocket, Final Report, WRDC-TR-90-2103, pp. 12-30.
- Briscoe J.D., “Fluoride Based Cathodes and Electrolytes for High Energy Thermal Batteries”, Proc. Intersociety.Energy Conversion. Eng. Conf., 33rd, 1998.
- Briscoe J.D., Castro G.L., “Transition Metal Fluoride Cathodes for Lithium Thermal Batteries”, 99-APSC-40, Proc. SAE Aerospace Power Systems Conf., Mesa, Arizona, April 6-8, 1999.
- Miles M.H., “Lithium Thermal Batteries Using Molten Nitrate Electrolytes”, Proc. of the 39th Power Sources Symposium, pp. 560-563, June 12-15, 2000.
- Winchester C.S., “The LAN/FeS2 Thermal Battery System”, Proc. of the 30th Power Sources Symposium, pp. 23-27, June 7-12, 1982.
- Levin E.M., Robbins C.R., McMurdie H.F., Phase Diagrams for Ceramists, Vol. I & 1969 Supplement, The American Ceramic Society, 1969,
- Briscoe J.D., “An Improved Thermal Battery for Military Applications”, Proc. Of the 38th Power Sources Conference, June 8-11, 1998, pp. 235-239.