This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Beds on the Road - Criteria and Construction Principles
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published November 18, 2002 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Work performance interacts strongly with the quality of recreation and sleep. Correspondingly sleepiness is known as the major cause of traffic accidents.
To get first ergonomical criteria for the construction of truck beds, published research about bedding quality as well as on our own research and experience is applied on truck-bedding. Research about the effect of noise and vibration on sleep and about seat-vibrations further allow to derive construction targets for beds for sleep in the running truck.
It is shown how the transfer of construction principles of typical European consumer beds can be applied to reach this targets.
The optimization of the cabin by means of a circadian-optimized cabin lighting are discussed for further developments.
CitationJanseny, K., "Beds on the Road - Criteria and Construction Principles," SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-3080, 2002, https://doi.org/10.4271/2002-01-3080.
Truck Crashworthiness, Occupant Protection and Ergonomics
Number: SP-1730; Published: 2002-11-15
Number: SP-1730; Published: 2002-11-15
- Aldrich, Michael S. Sleep 12 1989 6 Automobile Accidents in Patients with Sleep Disorders
- Arnberg, Peter W. Bennerhult, Ove Eberhardt, Jacob L. Journal of the Acoustical Society of America 88 1990 3 Sleep Disturbances Caused by Vibrations from haevy Road traffic
- Baulk SD Reyner LA Horne JA. Sleep 15 24 6 695 8 Driver sleepiness--evaluation of reaction time measurement as a secondary task
- Becker-Carus, Christian 1995 3-8258-2104-8
- Campbell Scott Drew Anderson Michael Journal of American Geriartrics society 41 1993 S829 836 Alleviation of Sleep Maintainance Insomnia with timed Exposure to bright light
- Connor J Norton R Ameratunga S Robinson E Wigmore B Jackson R. Sleep 15 24 6 688 94 Prevalence of driver sleepiness in a random population-based sample of car driving
- Ewers, U. Kainka, E. Umbach, K.-H. Diebschlag, W. Allergo Journal 9 2000
- Garbarino M, Sergio Nobili MD, Lino Beelke MD, Manolo Carli, Fabrizio de Phy Ferrollo, Franco MD Sleep 24 2 2001 The contributing Role of Sleepiness in Highway Vehicle Accidents
- Haraldsson, P.O. Carenfelt, C. Laurell, H. Toernros, J. Acta Otolaryngologica 110 1990 1-2 Driving Vigilance Simulator Test
- Hecht, K. Engfer A. Peter, J. H. Poppei, M.
- Hertz, Robin P. Accident Analysis Prevention 20 1988 6 Tractor-Trailer Driver Fatality: The Role of Nonconsecutive Rest in a Sleeper berth
- Hobson, J. Allan 1990 3-89330-811-3
- Iber Davis Mahowald Sleep 12 1989 5 405 412 Nocturnal Rocking Bed Therapy: Improvement in Sleep Fragmentation in Patients with respiratory Muscle Weakness
- Jouvet, Michel 1994 3-499-19621-2 The paradox of sleep: the story of dreaming MIT Press 1999 0-262-10080-0
- Kecklund, G. Akerstedt, T. Ergonomics 36 1993 9 1007 17 Sleepiness in long distance truck driving: an ambulatory EEG study of night driving
- Kinkel, H.J. Maxion, H. 28 1970
- Lavie, Peretz 1999 3-4233-3048-1
- Leger, Damien Sleep 17 1 The Cost of Sleep-Related Accidents: A Report for the National Commission on Sleep Disorders Research
- Lund, Reimer Engfer, Adalbert 1993 3-8258-2104-8
- Mabbot Foster McPhee ARRBTransport Research/Australian Transport Safety Bureau/Report No. CR203 0642 25562 8 2001 Heavy Vehicle Seat Vibration and Driver Fatigue
- Marcus, Carole L. Loughlin, Gerald M. Sleep 19 10 1996 Effect of Sleep Deprivation on Driving Safety in Housestaff
- Mayer, G. 13 14 1996
- Meier-Ewert, K. Rüther, E. 1993 Urban & Fischer 3-4371-1504-9
- Miller, James C. Biological Psychology 40 1995 Batch procesing of 10000 h of truck drivers EEG data
- Muzet, A. Libert, J-P Candas, V Experientia 40 1984 5 425 429 Ambient Temperature and Human Sleep
- Sanders, Mark S. Human Factors 22 1980 3 Sleep Envelopes and Sleeper Berth Requirements
- Stoohs, Riccardo, A. Guilleminault, Christian Itoi, Anna Dement, William C. Sleep 17 7 Traffic Accidents in Commercial Long-Haul Trick Drivers: The Influence of Sleep-Disordered Breathing and Obesity
- Summala, Heikki Mikkola, Timo Human Factors 36 2 Fatal Accidents among Car and Truck Drivers: Effects of Fatigue, Age, and Alcohol Consumption
- Akerstedt Tjörn Folkard Simon Chronobiology International 14 2 115 123 The three-process Model of alertness and its extension to performance, sleep latency and sleep length
- Valtonen, Erkki J. 76 1979 38
- Webb, Wilse W. Sleep 18 4 The Cost of Sleep-Related Accidents: A Reanalysis
- Zulley, Jürgen Knab, Barbara 2000 3-451-26762-4