This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Determining Optimum Redesign Plans for Avionics Based on Electronic Part Obsolescence Forecasts
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published November 05, 2002 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Many electronic parts have life cycles that are shorter than the life cycle of the product they are in. Life cycle mismatches caused by the obsolescence of electronic parts can result in significantly sustainment costs for long life systems. In particular, avionics often encounters part obsolescence problems before being fielded and nearly always experience part obsolescence problems during their field life. This paper presents a methodology for determining the optimum design refresh (redesign) schedule for long field life electronic systems based on forecasted electronic part obsolescence and a mix of obsolescence mitigation approaches ranging from lifetime buys to part substitution.
CitationSingh, P., Sandborn, P., Lorenson, D., and Geiser, T., "Determining Optimum Redesign Plans for Avionics Based on Electronic Part Obsolescence Forecasts," SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-3012, 2002, https://doi.org/10.4271/2002-01-3012.
- Bumbalough, A. 1999. USAF Manufacturing Technology's Initiative on Electronics Parts Obsolescence Management, Proceedings of 44th International SAMPE Symposium, pp. 2044-2051, 1999.
- Stogdill, R. C., Dealing with Obsolete Parts, IEEE Design & Test of Computers, Vol 16, No. 2, pp. 17-25, 1999.
- Porter, Z., An Economic Method for Evaluating Component Obsolescence Solutions, Boeing Corporation, 1998.
- Sandborn, P. and Singh, P., Electronic Part Obsolescence Driven Product Redesign Optimization, Proc. FAA/DoD/NASA Aging Aircraft Conference, September 2002.
- TACTech, http://www.tactech.com
- Henke, A. L., and Lai, S., Automated Parts Obsolescence Prediction, Proc. DMSMS Conference, (http://smaplab.ri.uah.edu/dmsms/laip.pdf), 1997.
- Amspaker, M., Expanding Current Obsolescence Tools to Non-Electronic Areas, Proc. DMSMS Conference, (http://smaplab.ri.uah.edu/dmsms98/papers/amspaker.pdf), 1999.
- Solomon, R., Sandborn, P. and Pecht, M., Electronic Part Life Cycle Concepts and Obsolescence Forecasting, IEEE Trans. on Components and Packaging Technologies, Vol. 23, No. 4, pp. 707-713, Dec. 2000.
- Wilkinson, C., Pecht, M., Wasson, J., and Condra, L., Recommendations for Future Avionics Hardware Development, Proc. of the World Aviation Congress, November 2002.