This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Determining Optimum Redesign Plans for Avionics Based on Electronic Part Obsolescence Forecasts
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published November 05, 2002 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Many electronic parts have life cycles that are shorter than the life cycle of the product they are in. Life cycle mismatches caused by the obsolescence of electronic parts can result in significantly sustainment costs for long life systems. In particular, avionics often encounters part obsolescence problems before being fielded and nearly always experience part obsolescence problems during their field life. This paper presents a methodology for determining the optimum design refresh (redesign) schedule for long field life electronic systems based on forecasted electronic part obsolescence and a mix of obsolescence mitigation approaches ranging from lifetime buys to part substitution.
CitationSingh, P., Sandborn, P., Lorenson, D., and Geiser, T., "Determining Optimum Redesign Plans for Avionics Based on Electronic Part Obsolescence Forecasts," SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-3012, 2002, https://doi.org/10.4271/2002-01-3012.
- Bumbalough, A. 1999 USAF Manufacturing Technology's Initiative on Electronics Parts Obsolescence Management Proceedings of 44 th International SAMPE Symposium 2044 2051 1999
- Stogdill, R. C. Dealing with Obsolete Parts IEEE Design & Test of Computers 16 2 17 25 1999
- Porter, Z. An Economic Method for Evaluating Component Obsolescence Solutions Boeing Corporation 1998
- Sandborn, P. Singh, P. Electronic Part Obsolescence Driven Product Redesign Optimization Proc. FAA/DoD/NASA Aging Aircraft Conference September 2002
- TACTech http://www.tactech.com
- Henke, A. L. Lai, S. Automated Parts Obsolescence Prediction Proc. DMSMS Conference http://smaplab.ri.uah.edu/dmsms/laip.pdf 1997
- Amspaker, M. Expanding Current Obsolescence Tools to Non-Electronic Areas Proc. DMSMS Conference http://smaplab.ri.uah.edu/dmsms98/papers/amspaker.pdf 1999
- Solomon, R. Sandborn, P. Pecht, M. Electronic Part Life Cycle Concepts and Obsolescence Forecasting IEEE Trans. on Components and Packaging Technologies 23 4 707 713 Dec. 2000
- Wilkinson, C. Pecht, M. Wasson, J. Condra, L. Recommendations for Future Avionics Hardware Development Proc. of the World Aviation Congress November 2002