This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Turbulence Properties of High and Low Swirl In-Cylinder Flows
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 21, 2002 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In previous work, Reuss  studied the cycle-to-cycle variation in the large-scale velocity structures of high and low-swirl in-cylinder flows of an IC engine. The vector flow fields were obtained from PIV measurements in a two-valve, pancake-shaped, Transparent Combustion Chamber (TCC) engine. In this study, the Reynolds-decomposed turbulence properties such as kinetic energy, length scales, and dissipation rate were directly measured for the two cases. The results demonstrate that, at TDC compression, the low-swirl flow is dominated by turbulence at the largest scales, whereas the high-swirl flow has a considerably lower turbulence Reynolds number. The dissipation rate and length scale calculated from mixing-length theory greatly exceeded the dissipation computed from the 2-D velocity-gradients and integral-length scales computed from the autocorrelation, respectively.
CitationFunk, C., Sick, V., Reuss, D., and Dahm, W., "Turbulence Properties of High and Low Swirl In-Cylinder Flows," SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-2841, 2002, https://doi.org/10.4271/2002-01-2841.
- Reuss, D. “Cyclic Variability of Large-Scale Turbulent Structures in Directed and Undirected IC Engine Flows” SAE Paper 2000-01-0246 1998
- Rask, R.B. “Laser Doppler Anemometry Measurements of Mean Velocity and Turbulence in Internal Combustion Engines,” Int. Conf. on Applications of Lasers and Electro-Optics Boston 1984
- Glover, A.R. Hundleby, G.E. Haddad, O. “An Investigation into Engine Turbulence Using Scanning LDA SAE Paper 880379 1988
- Fraser, R.A. Bracco, F. V. “Cycle-resolved LDV Integral Length-Scale Measurements in an IC Engine,” SAE Paper 880021 1988
- Fansler, T.D. French, D. T. “Cycle-Resolved Laser Velocimetry Measurements in a Reentrant-Bowl-in-Piston Engine,” SAE Paper 880377 1988
- Kuo, T. Reuss, D. “Mulitdimensional Port-and-Cylinder Flow Calculations for the Transparent-Combustion-Chamber Engine 23 Engine Modeling ASME 1995
- Reuss, D. Kuo, T. Khalighi, B. Haworth, D. Rosalik, M. “Particle Image Velocimetry Measurements in a High-Swirl Engine Used for Evaluation of Computational Fluid Dynamics Calculations” SAE Paper 952381 1995
- Tennekes, H. Lumley, J. “A First Course in Turbulence” MIT Press 1972
- Pope, S. “Turbulent Flows” Cambridge University Press 2000
- Heywood, J.B. “Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals McGraw-Hill New York 1988