This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Development of a Belt CVT Fluid Test Procedure Using the VT20/25E Belt Box for the DEX-CVT® Specification
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 21, 2002 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The introduction of the continuously variable transmission (CVT) by General Motors required the introduction of a test to evaluate fluid for the ECOTEC VTi transmission. With assistance from Van Doorne's Transmissie (VDT), the belt and sheave supplier for the transmission, a rig was constructed to test fluids in a transmission-like environment without the variability of in-vehicle testing. The test schedule includes testing for fluid friction coefficient, shear stability, and wear rating and is currently subject to further work aimed at confirming repeatability and discrimination. Once confirmed, the new procedure will become part of the DEX-CVT® specification for the new service fluids for the VT20/25E transmissions.
CitationMorgan, C., Fewkes, R., and Marty, S., "Development of a Belt CVT Fluid Test Procedure Using the VT20/25E Belt Box for the DEX-CVT® Specification," SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-2819, 2002, https://doi.org/10.4271/2002-01-2819.
- Fewkes R. “CVT Scratch Phenomenon and Fluid Performance Issues” Lubricant Solutions (UK) Ltd. July 2000
- Fewkes R. Gunsing J. Sumiejski J. L. “Lubricant as a Construction Element in VDT Push-Belt CVT System” SAE Paper 932848
- Ward, W. C. Jr. Copes R. G. Sumiejski J. L. Fewkes R. “Performance Features of Fluids for CVT Applications” JSAE Paper No. 9636457 September 1996
- Ward, W. C. Jr. Kojima N. “North American ATF Trends and Performance of CVT Fluids” The Latest Technical Trends of Automotive Fuels and Lubricants, No. 9706 JSAE Symposium
- Nakazawa K. et al “Performance of a CVT Fluid for High Torque Transmitting Belt-CVTs” SAE Paper 982675
- Fewkes R. “CVT Fluid: Essential Performance Features” Lubrizol Corporation Presentation document
- Ichihashi T. Deshimaru J. Yamaguchi Y. “Performance of Lubricants for New Generation V-Belt CVT” International Congress on Continuously Variable Power Transmissions Eindhoven, The Netherlands 16-17 September 1989
- Conversations with various representatives of Ethyl Petroleum Additives and Van Doorne's Transmissie about existing CVT belt box rigs