This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Application of Secondary Air Injection for Simultaneously Reducing Converter-In Emissions and Improving Catalyst Light-Off Performance
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 21, 2002 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Improving catalyst light-off characteristics during cold start and reducing engine-out (more accurately converter-in) emissions prior to catalyst light-off have been regarded as the keys to meeting future stringent emissions regulations. Many technologies and control strategies have been proposed, and some of them have already been incorporated into production, to address these issues. Among these, secondary air injection received a lot of attention. This study was initiated to investigate the thermal and chemical processes associated with secondary air injection inside the exhaust system in order to maximize the simultaneous benefit of improving catalyst light-off performance and reducing converter-in emissions. The effects of several design and operating parameters such as secondary air injection location, exhaust manifold design, spark timing, engine enrichment level, and secondary air flow rate were carefully examined. It was found that proper design and optimization of secondary air injection can significantly improve catalyst light-off characteristics and reduce converter-in HC emissions.
CitationBorland, M. and Zhao, F., "Application of Secondary Air Injection for Simultaneously Reducing Converter-In Emissions and Improving Catalyst Light-Off Performance," SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-2803, 2002, https://doi.org/10.4271/2002-01-2803.
- Adamczyk A. et al., Experimental and modeling evaluations of a vacuum-insulated catalytic converter, SAE Technical Paper, No. 1999-01-3678 (1999).
- Ball D. et al., Ultrathin wall catalyst solutions at similar restriction and precious metal loading, SAE Technical Paper, No. 2000-01-1844 (2000).
- Crane M. et al., Reduced cold-start emissions using rapid exhaust port oxidation (REPO) in a spark ignition engine, SAE Technical Paper, No. 970264 (1997).
- Eade D. et al., Fast light-off of underbody catalysts using exhaust gas ignition (EGI), SAE Technical Paper, No. 952417 (1995).
- Heimrich M., Air injection to an electrically-heated catalyst for reducing cold-start Benzene emissions from gasoline vehicles, SAE Technical Paper, No. 902115 (1990).
- Heimrich. et al., On-board hydrogen generation for rapid catalyst light-off, SAE Technical Paper, No. 2000-01-1841 (2000).
- Hernandez J., A study of the thermochemical conditions in the exhaust manifold using secondary air in a 2.0 L engine, SAE Technical Paper, No. 2002-01-1676 (2002).
- Herrin R., The importance of secondary air mixing in exhaust thermal reactor systems, SAE Technical Paper, No. 750174 (1975).
- Herrin R., Lean thermal reactor performance characteristics - a screening study, SAE Technical Paper, No. 760319 (1976).
- Herrin R., Emissions performance of lean thermal reactors - effects of volume, configuration, and heat loss, SAE Technical Paper, No. 780008 (1978).
- Heywood J., Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals, McGraw-Hill, 1988.
- Hummel K.-E. et al., Secondary air charger - an innovative system to reduce cold start emissions, Proceedings of the 10th Aachen Colloquium - Vehicle and Engine Technology, 2001.
- Inoue T. et al., Challenge for the cleanest car - part 2: tailpipe emission reduction, JSAE Technical Paper (in Japanese), No. 20005188 (2000).
- Kadlec R. et al., Limiting factors on steady-state thermal reactor performance, SAE Technical Paper, No. 730202 (1972).
- Kanazawa T. et al., Development of the automotive exhaust hydrocarbon adsorbent, SAE Technical Paper, No. 2001-01-0660 (2001).
- Katashiba H. et al., Development of an effective air-injection system with air for LEV/ULEV, SAE Technical Paper, No. 950411 (1995).
- Kemmler R. et al., Current status and prospects for gasoline engine emission control technology - paving the way for minimal emissions, SAE Technical Paper, No. 2000-01-0856 (2000).
- Kirwan J. et al., Advanced engine management using on-board gasoline partial oxidation reforming for meeting super-ULEV (SULEV) emissions standards, SAE Technical Paper, No. 1999-01-2927 (1999).
- Kochs M. et al., Innovative secondary air injection systems, SAE Technical Paper, No. 2001-01-0658 (2001).
- Koehlen C. et al., Optimization of catalyst light off by investigating motion of the post oxidation flame and its dependence from combustion and manifold geometry, SAE Technical Paper, No. 2002-01-0744 (2002).
- Kollmann K. et al., Secondary air injection with a new developed electrical blower for reduced exhaust emissions, SAE Technical Paper, No. 940472 (1994).
- Lafyatis D. et al., Ambient temperature light-off aftertreatment system for meeting ULEV emissions standards, SAE Technical Paper, No. 980421 (1998).
- Leonard L., Fuel distribution by exhaust gas analysis, SAE Technical Paper, No. 376A (1961).
- Lord H. et al., Reactor studies for exhaust oxidation rates, SAE Technical Paper, No. 730203 (1973).
- Nishizawa K. et al., Development of new technologies targeting zero emissions for gasoline engines, SAE Technical Paper, No. 2000-01-0890 (2000).
- Nishizawa K. et al., Development of second generation of gasoline PZEV technology, SAE Technical Paper, No. 2001-01-1310 (2001).
- Oakley A. et al., Feasibility study of an online gasoline fractionating system for use in spark-ignition engines, SAE Technical Paper, No. 2001-01-1193 (2001).
- Sim H. et al., Effect of synchronized secondary air injection on exhaust hydrocarbon emission in a spark ignition engine, Proc Instn Mech Engrs, Vol. 215, Part D, pp. 557-566 (2001).
- Son G. et al., A study on the practicability of a secondary air injection for emission reduction, SAE Technical Paper, No. 1999-01-1504 (1999).
- Ueno M. et al., A quick warm-up system during engine start-up period using adaptive control of intake air and ignition timing, SAE Technical Paper, No. 2000-01-0890 (2000).
- Yamada T. et al., Technologies for reducing cold-start emissions of V6 engine, Proceedings of the JSAE Spring Convention (in Japanese), No. 1997-5, pp. 309-312 (1997).
- Yamamoto T. et al., Reduction of cold-start emissions by combination of new-type catalytic converter and secondary air injection system, Proceedings of SAE-Japan Convention (in Japanese), No. 54-00, Paper No. 20005121, pp. 17-20 (2000).
- Yamamoto S. et al., Useful combustion in cylinder during exhaust stroke and in exhaust port with gasoline direct injection, Proceedings of COMODIA, pp. 187-192 (2001).
- Yasui Y. et al., Secondary O2 feedback using prediction and identification type sliding mode control, SAE Technical Paper, No. 2000-01-0936 (2000).