This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Experience of Fitting London Black Cabs with Fuel Borne Catalyst Assisted Diesel Particulate Filters - Part 1 Regulated Emissions and Regeneration Performance
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 21, 2002 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Forthcoming emissions legislation is driving the passenger car manufacturers towards the fitting of Diesel Particulate Filters (DPFs) as original equipment. However such initiatives are not retrospective and due to the replacement rate of the vehicle fleet, there is a time lag before the full benefit of the new measures are fully realised. To overcome this drawback, in areas with a particular problem such as heavily congested city centres, retrospective legislation has been introduced, for example in Hong Kong and Tokyo. Legislation mandating the retrofitting of DPFs obviously has an immediate effect on particulate emissions. Other authorities are thus investigating the efficacy of such measures.
To add to the data base for such assessments Octel is running a demonstration programme using London Black Cabs. Four cars have been fitted with a DPF, an on-board dosing system to meter a fuel borne catalyst (FBC) into the fuel and a data logger to monitor the DPF performance. Emissions measurements were taken before and after fitting the DPF. The cars were then run on the road conducting normal taxi duties. After approximately 20000 km the cars were brought back for a further set of emissions measurements to be performed with the DPF fitted and again with the DPF removed.
This paper presents details of the installation of the DPF systems, an analysis of the in service operational performance of the system. Also presented is an analysis of the results of the regulated emissions testing with and without the DPF. A follow-on paper describes the results of some non-regulated emissions.
CitationTerry, B., Richards, P., and Pye, D., "Experience of Fitting London Black Cabs with Fuel Borne Catalyst Assisted Diesel Particulate Filters - Part 1 Regulated Emissions and Regeneration Performance," SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-2784, 2002, https://doi.org/10.4271/2002-01-2784.
- “The Mayor's Draft Air Quality Strategy for Public Consultation” Greater London Authority September 2001
- Czerwinski J. Jaussi F. Wyse M. Mayer A. “Particulate Traps for construction Machines Properties and Field Experience” SAE 2000-01-1923
- Seguelong T Fournier-Bidoz P. “Use of Diesel Particulate Filters and Cerium-Based Fuel-Borne Catalyst for Low Temperature - Low Load Applications” SAE 2001-01-0906
- Chatterjee S. Conway R. Lanni T. Frank B. Tang S. Rosenblatt D. Bush C. Lowell D. Evans J. McLean R. Levy S. “Performance and Durability Evaluation of Continuously Regenerating Particulate Filters on Diesel Powered Urban Buses at NY City Transport - Part II” SAE 2002-01-0430
- LeTavec C. Uihein J. Vertin K. Chatterjee S. Hallstrom K. Wayne S. Clark N. Gautam M. Thompson G. Lyons D. Chandler K. Coburn T “Year-Long Evaluation of Trucks and Buses Equipped with Passive Diesel Particulate Filters” SAE 2002-01-0433
- Salvat O. Marez P. Belot G. “Passenger Car Serial Application of a Particulate Filter System on a Common Rail Direct Injection Diesel Engine” SAE 2000-01-0473
- Richards P. Vincent M. W. Cook S. L. “Operating Experience of Diesel Vehicles Equipped With Particulate Filters and Using Fuel Additive For Regeneration.” SAE 2000-01-0474
- Vincent M. W. Richards P. “The Long Distance Road Trial of a Combined Diesel Particulate Filter and Fuel Additive.” SAE 2000-01-2849
- Richards P. Terry B. Vincent M. W. Chadderton J. “Combining Fuel Borne Catalyst, Catalytic Wash Coat and Diesel Particulate Filter” SAE 2001-01-0902
- Andersson J. Wedekind B. Wilson G. Hall D. Stradling R. “DETR/SMMT/CONCAWE Particulate Research Programme: Effects of Particulate Traps on Particle Size, Number and Mass Emissions from Light and Heavy Duty Diesel Engines”
- Richards P. Vincent M. W. Cook S. L. “Emissions Characteristics of Diesel Vehicles Equipped With Particulate Filters and Using Fuel Additive For Regeneration” SAE 2000-01-1925
- Richards P. Terry B. Pye D. “Experience of fitting London Black Cabs with Fuel Borne Catalyst assisted Diesel Particulate Filters - Part 2 Non-regulated emissions measurements” SAE 2002-01-2785
- Richards P. Rogers T. “Preliminary Results from a Six Vehicle, Heavy Duty Truck Trial, Using Additive Regenerated DPFs” SAE 2002-01-0431