This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Mixed Numerical-Experimental Analysis Procedure for Non-Blocking Metal Supported Soot Trap Design
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 21, 2002 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Metal based Diesel Particulate Filters (PM-TRAPs) could represent a short time solution to face with particulate (and NOx) emissions with a small influence on CO2 emission. In fact, the operation principle of the PM-TRAP, based on fluid dynamical behavior of exhaust flow in “ad hoc” shaped geometries, allows to separate the particle content of exhaust-gases but needs to be carefully assessed to optimize filter performances.
In this paper a mixed numerical and experimental procedure has been developed; it allows to finely tune the design parameters which can be used to achieve pre-defined targets in terms of particulate matter and fuel consumption. By adopting the previously declared procedure, a PM-TRAP “optimal” geometry has been chosen. Its performance has been verified with respect to experimental data. Results are encouraging and suggest further development of the system.
CitationAndreassi, L., Cordiner, S., Mulone, V., and Presti, M., "A Mixed Numerical-Experimental Analysis Procedure for Non-Blocking Metal Supported Soot Trap Design," SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-2782, 2002, https://doi.org/10.4271/2002-01-2782.
SAE 2002 Transactions Journal of Fuels and Lubricants
Number: V111-4; Published: 2003-09-15
Number: V111-4; Published: 2003-09-15
- Stamaletos A.M. Koltsakis G.C. Kandylas I.P. Pontikakis G.N. “Computer Aided Engineering in the Development of Diesel Exhaust Aftertreatment Systems SAE 1999-01-0458 1999
- Konstandopoulos A.G. Kostoglou M. Skaperdas E. Papaioannou E. Zarvalis D. Klado-poulou E. “Fundamental Studies of Diesel Particulate Filters: Transient Loading, Regeneration and Aging” SAE 2000-01-1016 2000
- Lüders H. Backes R. Hüthwohl G. Ketcher D.A. Horrocks R.W. Hurley R.G. Ammerle R.H. “An Urea NOx Catalyst System for Light Duty Diesel Vehicles” SAE 952493 1995
- Matsunuma K. Ihara T. Hanamoto Y. Nakajima S. Okamoto S. “Development of Diesel Particulate Filter Made of Porous metal” SAE 960132 1996
- Bloom R.L. Brunner N.R. Schroer S.C. “Fiber-Wound Diesel Particulate Filter Durability. Experience with Metal-Based Additives” SAE 970180 1997
- Masoudi Mansour Heibel A. Thern P.M. “Predicting Pressure Drop of Wall-Flow Diesel Particulate Filters - Theory and Experiment” SAE paper n. 2000-01-0184
- Zelenka P. Reczek W. Mustel W: Rouveirolles P. “Towards Securing the Particulate Trap Regeneration: a System Combining a Sintered Metal Filter and Cerium Fuel Additive” SAE 982598 1998
- Andreassi L. Cordiner S. Mulone V. Brück R. Presti M. Hodgson J. “Design Techniques to Improve the Performances of Metal Supported Flow-Through Particulate Traps: an Experimental and Numerical Approach” SAE-NA 2001-01-061 2001
- Brück R. Hirth P. Reizig M. Treiber P. Breuer J. “Metal Supported Flow-Through Particulate Trap;a Non-Blocking Solution” SAE Paper n. 2001-01-1950
- Allansson R. Blakemen P. Chandler G. Maloney C. Walker A. Thoss J. “Einsatz von selbstregenerierenden Partikelfiltersystemen (CRT - Continuously Regenerating Trap) sowie SCRT (CRT + SCR - Selective Catalytic Reduction) zur Einhaltung künftiger Emissions-grenzen” 21 st Vienna Motor Symposium May 4-5 2000
- Jacob E. Döring A. “GD-Kat: Abgasnachbehandlungssystem zur simultanen Kohlenstoffpar-tikeloxidation und NOx-Reduktion für Euro4/5-Nfz-Dieselmotoren” 21 st Vienna Motor Symposium May 4-5 2000
- Thomas S.E. Martin A.R. Raybone D. Shawcross J.T. Ng K.L. Beech P. Whitehead J.C. “Non Thermal Plasma Aftertreatment of Particulates - Theoretical Limits and Impact on Reactor Design” SAE 2000-01-1926 2000
- Kaviany M. “Flow in Porous Media” Handbook of Fluid Dynamics 1998
- Amsden A.A. Ruppel H.M. Hirt C.W. “SALE: A Simplified ALE Computer for Fluid Flow at All Speeds” Los Alamos Scientific Laboratory 1980
- Amsden, A.A. O'Rourke, P.J Butler “KIVA III: A KIVA Program with Block Structured Mesh for Complex Geometries” Los Alamos National Labs.
- Jacob E. D'Alfonso N. Doring A. Reisch S. Rothe D. Bruck R. Treiber P. “PM-Kat a non blocking Solution to Reduce Carbon Particle Emissions of Euro IV Engines”
- Reizig M. Brück R. Konieczny R. Treiber P. “New Approaches to Catalyst Substrate Application for Diesel Engines” SAE 2001-01-0189 2001
- Johnson R.W. “The Handbook of Fluid-dynamics”
- Kakac S. Kilkis B. Kulacki F.A. Arinc F. “Convective Heat and Mass Transfer in Porous Media”