This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The Deformation of Single Droplets Impacting onto a Flat Surface
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 21, 2002 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper presents an experimental study of the deformation of spherical liquid droplets impinging onto dry and flat surfaces making use of a CCD-camera with a high spatial resolution. The experiments consider different liquids (water and Diesel oil) and the effects of droplet velocity and diameter at the impact in a range of Weber numbers up to 1100 and Reynolds numbers up to 77400. Emphasis is put on the nature of the surface target. To consider this effect, two surface materials were used (perspex and aluminium) with surface roughness varying from less than 5μm (considered as a smooth surface) up to Ra=66,6μm. For the range of droplet diameters considered in the experiments, the corresponding dimensionless values of Ra/Rdroplet vary from 1.5×10-5 and 2.5×10-2.
In a first step, the experiments focus on the spread of the liquid film and analysis of the results suggest that, provided that the Reynolds number of the droplet at the impact is large (Re>2000), the energy dissipated at the wall is not affected by the nature of the surface. The effect of surface roughness appears to be important for low Reynolds numbers, typically Re<1000.
Depending upon the physical parameters at the impact, the droplet may splash at the first contact with the surface (prompt splash) or the liquid film at the wall may break-up on secondary droplets during spread. In a second step, the experiments emphasize the effect of surface roughness on the onset of splash for different liquids. The experimental results are analysed in terms of the critical Weber number for which splash occurs, and compared with correlations reported in the literature accounting for the effects of surface roughness and droplet liquid and suggest the likely influence of, not only the nature of the surface (e.g. surface profile and material), but also of the liquid.
CitationMoita, A. and Moreira, A., "The Deformation of Single Droplets Impacting onto a Flat Surface," SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-2749, 2002, https://doi.org/10.4271/2002-01-2749.
SAE 2002 Transactions Journal of Fuels and Lubricants
Number: V111-4; Published: 2003-09-15
Number: V111-4; Published: 2003-09-15
- Chandra, S. Avedisian, C. T. “On the collision of a droplet with a solid surface” Proc. R. Soc. London 432 13 41 1991
- Marmanis, H. Thoroddsen, S. T. “Scaling of the fingering pattern of an impacting drop” Physics of Fluids 8 6 1344 1346 1996
- Thoroddsen, S. T. Sakakibara, J. “Evolution of the fingering pattern of an impacting drop” Physics of Fluids 10 6 1359 1374 1998
- Stow, C. D. Hadfield, M. G. “An experimental investigation of fluid flow resulting from the impact of a water drop with an unyielding dry surface” Proc. R. Soc. of London 373 1981
- Range, Kai Feuillebois, François “Influence of Surface Roughness on Liquid Drop Impact” Journal of Colloid and Interface Science 203 16 30 1998
- Riboo, R. Marengo. M. Tropea, C. “Outcomes from a drop impact on solid surfaces” ILASS-Europe'99 1998
- Šikalo, Š Marengo, M. Tropea, C. Ganic “Analysis of impact of droplets on horizontal surfaces” Experimental Thermal and Fluid Science 25 503 510 2001
- Karl, Alexander Anders, Klaus Rieber, Martin Frohn, Arnold “Deformation of liquid droplets during collisions with hot walls: experimental and numerical results” Part. Syst. Charact. 13 186 19 1996
- Kang, B. S. Lee, D. H. “On the dynamic behaviour of a liquid droplet impacting upon an inclined heated surface” Experiments in Fluids 29 380 387 2000
- Pasandideh-Fard, M. Qiao, Y. M. Chandra, S. Mostaghimi, J. “Capillary effects during droplet impact on a solid surface” Physics of Fluids 8 3 650 658 1996
- Levin, Z. Hobbs, P. V. “Splashing of water drops on solid and wetted surfaces: Hydrodynamics and charge separation” Phils. Trans. R soc. of London 269 1971
- Haitao, Xu Liu Yongchang He Ping Wang Haiqing “The TAR Model for calculation of droplet/wall impingement” Journal of Fluids Engineering 593 597 1998
- Fukai, J. Shiiba, Y. Yamamoto, T. Miyatake, O. Poulikakos, D. Megaridis, C. M. Zhao, Z. “Wetting effects on the spreading of a liquid droplet colliding with a flat surface: experiment and modeling” Physics of Fluids 7 2 236 247 1995
- Mundo, CHR. Sommerfeld, M. Tropea, C. “Droplet-wall Collisions: Experimental studies of the deformation and break-up processes” Int. J. Multiphase Flow 21 2 151 173 1995
- Cossali, G. E. Coghe, A. Marengo, M. “The impact of a single drop on a wetted solid surface” Experiments in Fluids 22 463 472 1997
- Wu, Z. N. “Modélisation et calcul implicite multidomaine d'écoulements diphasiques gas-gouttelettes” Ph.D. Thesis Université Pierre et Marie Curie Paris, France 1992