This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Analysis of Multiple Injection Strategies for the Reduction of Emissions, Noise and BSFC of a DI CR Small Displacement Non-Road Diesel Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 21, 2002 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The influence of different multiple injection strategies on the emissions, combustion noise and BSFC (brake specific fuel consumption) of a small non-road diesel engine prototype equipped with a Common Rail (CR) fuel injection system has been analysed.
The two most critical operating points according to the ISO 8178 - C1 test cycle as far as the exhaust emissions are concerned (Intermediate Speed/Full Load; Rated Speed/Full Load) were considered. Different injection strategies, each with a fixed number of consecutive injections (up to 4), were tested for the selected operating points.
It was found that multiple injection strategies can be very effective also for small displacement non-road diesel engines in reducing particulate matter (PM), NOx and noise levels without increasing fuel consumption.
CitationMallamo, F., Badami, M., and Millo, F., "Analysis of Multiple Injection Strategies for the Reduction of Emissions, Noise and BSFC of a DI CR Small Displacement Non-Road Diesel Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-2672, 2002, https://doi.org/10.4271/2002-01-2672.
SAE 2002 Transactions Journal of Fuels and Lubricants
Number: V111-4; Published: 2003-09-15
Number: V111-4; Published: 2003-09-15
- Rinolfi, R. Imarisio, R. “The Potentials of Third Generation Direct Injection Diesel Engines for Passenger Cars” Engine and Environment International Congress AVL List GmbH Graz September 1997
- Rinolfi, R. Imarisio, R. Buratti, R. “The Potential of a New Common Rail Diesel Fuel Injection Sistem for the next Generation of DI Diesel Engines” 16 Internationales Wiener Motorensymposium VDI - Verlag Reihe 12 239
- Ceronetti, G. F. Imarisio, R. Stroppiana, B. “Control Strategies and Design Modifications for Exhaust Emission Reduction in Direct Injection Diesel Engines” FISITA Paper 905074 1990
- Piccone, A. Rinolfi, R. “FIAT Third Generation DI Diesel Engines” IMECHE-Ricardo, Seminar “The Euro 4 Challenge - Future Technologies and System” London December 1997
- Bianchi, G. M. Pelloni, P. Corcione, F. E. Luppino, F. “Numerical Analysis of Passenger Car HSDI Diesel Engines with the 2 nd Generation of Common Rail Injection Systems: The Effect of Multiple Injections on Emissions” SAE Paper 2001-01-1068 2001
- European Economic Community “European Parliament 97/68/CE Directive” 1997
- Environmental Protection Agency “Code of Federal Regulations, Chapter 40, Parts 9, 86, 89” 1998
- Heywood, J. B. “Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals” McGraw-Hill Book Co. New York 1988
- Nehmer, D. A. Reitz, R. D. “Measurement of the Effect of Injection Rate and Split Injections on Diesel Engine Soot and NOx Emissions” SAE Paper 940668 1994
- Badami, M. Nuccio, P. Trucco, G. “Influence of Injection Pressure on the Performance of a DI Diesel Engine with a Common Rail Fuel Injection System” SAE Paper 1999-01-0193 1999
- Durnholz, M. Endres, H. Frisse P “Preinjection: A measure to Optimize Emission Behavior of DI-Diesel Engine” SAE Paper 940674 1994
- Tow, T. C. Pierpont D. A. Reitz R. D. “Reducing Particulate and NO x Emissions by Using Multiple Injections in a Heavy Duty D.I. Diesel Engine” SAE Paper 940897 1994
- Pierpont, D. A. Montgomery, D.T. Reitz, R. D. “Reducing Particulate and NO x Using Multiple Injections and EGR in a D.I. Diesel Engine” SAE Paper 950217 1995
- Han, Z. Uludogan, A. Hampson, G.J. Reitz, R. D. “Mechanism of Soot and NO x Emission Reduction Using Multiple-Injection in a Diesel Engine” SAE Paper 960633 1996
- Benajes, J. Molina, S. Garcìa, J. M. “Influence of Pre- and Post-Injection on the Performance and Pollutant Emissions in a HD Diesel Engine” SAE Paper 2001-01-0526 2001
- Jianwen, Li Jae Ou Chae Lee, S. M. Jeong, J. S. “Modeling the Effects of Split Injection Scheme on Soot and NO Emissions of Direct Injection Diesel Engines by a Phenomenological Combustion Model” SAE Paper 962062 1996
- Montgomery, D. T. Reitz, R. D. “Optimization of Heavy-Duty Diesel Engine Operating Parameters Using a Response Surface Method” SAE Paper 2000-01-1962 2000
- Montgomery, D. T. Reitz, R. D. “Effects of Multiple Injections and Flexible Control of Boost and EGR on Emissions and Fuel Consumption of a Heavy-Duty Diesel Engine” SAE Paper 2001-01-0195 2001
- Christian, R. Knopf, F. Jaschek, A. Schindler, W. “A New method for the Filter Smoke Number Measurement with Improved Sensitivity” MTZ Motortechnische Zeltschrift 54 1993 Franckh Kosmos Verlags-GmbH & Co. Stuttgart
- Badami, M. Caporaso, M. Millo, F. “MECOMOTOR: Sistema di Acquisizione Dati per Motori Alternativi a Combustione Interna” National Instruments Automotive Users' Conference Turin June 2001
- Herbert, A. J. Russell, M. F. “Measurement of Combustion Noise in Diesel Engines” Mechanical Engineering Technology April 1982
- Russell, M. F. “Diesel Engine Noise: Control at Source” SAE Paper 8020238 1980
- AVL List GmbH “AVL 450 Combustion Noise Meter Operating Manual” 1992
- International Organization for Standardization 1992
- Desantes, J. M. Lòpez, J. J. Garcìa, J. M. Hernàndez, L. “Application of Neural Networks for Prediction and Optimization of Exhaust Emissions in a H.D. Diesel Engine” SAE Paper 2002-01-1144 2002
- Yamamoto, M. Yoneya, S. Matsuguchi, T. Kumagai, Y. “Optimization of Heavy Duty Diesel Engine Parameters for Low Exhaust Emissions Using the Design of Experiments” SAE Paper 2002-01-1148 2002
- Badami, M. Mallamo, F. Millo, F. Rossi, E. E. “Influence of Multiple Injection Strategies on Emissions, Combustion Noise and BSFC of a DI Common Rail Diesel Engine” SAE Paper 2002-01-0503 2002
- Badami, M. Millo, F. D'Amato, D. D. “Experimental Investigation on Soot and NOx Formation in a DI Common Rail Diesel Engine with Pilot Injection” SAE Paper 2001-01-0657 2001
- Augustin, U. Schwarz, V. “Low-Noise Combustion With Pilot Injection” Truck Technology International 1991