This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Systematic Approach to Brake Squeal Simulation Using MacNeal Method
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 06, 2002 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper expands the oral presentation the authors made at 2000 Brake Colloquium , and publishes, for the first time, the key concept and procedures of applying an advanced component mode synthesis method, the MacNeal method, in brake squeal simulations. The effectiveness and the efficiency of the overall approach are demonstrated and verified by direct FEA.
In addition to squeal propensities and the unstable complex mode shapes, this paper also investigates different mode participation factors (MPF) - Component MPF and System MPF, and component participation factors (CPF). The paper also introduces Acoustic Component Participation Factors (ACPF). Application case studies are presented to demonstrate the commonalities and differences of those factors.
CitationLee, L., Xu, K., Malott, B., Matsuzaki, M. et al., "A Systematic Approach to Brake Squeal Simulation Using MacNeal Method," SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-2610, 2002, https://doi.org/10.4271/2002-01-2610.
- Lee L., Xu K., Malott B. and Izumihara T., “An Advanced Approach to Disk Brake Squeal Simulation”, presented at 18th SAE Brake Colloquium Oct. 2000 (Oral Only)
- Yuan Y., “An Eigenvalue Analysis Approach to Brake Squeal Problems”, Proceedings of the Dedicated Conf. On Automotive Brake Systems, 29th ISATA, Florence, Italy, June, 1996
- Yuan Y., “Brake Squeal Analysis with MSC/NASTRAN”, presented at 14th SAE Brake Colloquium, Oct. 1996 (Oral Only)
- Matsushima T., Nishiwaki M., Masumo H., Ito S., “FEM Analysis of Low-Frequency Disc Brake Squeal”, 15th SAE Brake Colloquium, SAE Paper No. 973020, Oct. 1997
- Kung S. W., Saligrama V.C. and Riehle M. A., “Modal Participation Analysis for Identifying Brake Squeal Mechanism”, 18th SAE Brake Colloquium, SAE Paper # 2000-01-2764, Oct. 2000
- Hou S., “Review of Modal Synthesis Techniques and a New Approach”, Shock and Vibration Bulletin, No. 40, Part 4, pp. 25-30, 1969
- Goldman R. L., “Vibrations Analysis by Dynamic Partitioning”, AIAA Journal, Vol. 7, No. 6, June 1969
- MacNeal R. H., “A Hybrid Method of Component Mode Synthesis”, Journal of Computer and Structures, Vol. 1, No. 4, pp. 581-601, 1971
- Craig, R.R. Jr., Chang C.J., “Structural Coupling for Dynamic Analysis and Testing”, N77-17512, NASA CR-2781, 1977