This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Brake Rattle: Vibration and Noise Testing
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 06, 2002 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The continuous decrease in background noise levels inside vehicles has made other noise sources easily noticeable. Specifically, foundation brake rattle noise is a growing concern to the customer. This brake rattle is primarily due to rigid body impact between brake components. Currently, vehicle and brake manufacturing companies use different testing procedures to evaluate brake rattle that include laboratory vibration shakers, full vehicle shakers (four post), chassis dynamometers and vehicle road testing. These evaluations are subjective in most cases. A method is needed to replicate and quantify vehicle brake rattle in the laboratory to help determine the acceptability of a brake system at a component level. This approach would also help to identify the root cause for brake rattle and evaluate design changes to address that rattle. Some guidelines for better quantifying brake rattle using shakers will be proposed in this paper.
CitationKrishnapur, K., Luo, J., Malinow, I., and Lock, A., "Brake Rattle: Vibration and Noise Testing," SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-2608, 2002, https://doi.org/10.4271/2002-01-2608.
- Feng, J Hobelsberger, J 1999 “Detection and Scaling of Squeal & Rattle Sounds” Proceedings of the 1999 SAE Noise and Vibration Conference Volume I Traverse City, MI 541 550
- Grosh, K. Ma, Z-D. Fegelman, K. J. L. Tangri, R. Malinow, I. 1998 “A Computational Method for Predicting Rattle Noise in Component Assemblies,” Proceedings Noise-Con 98 Ypsilanti, MI 169 174
- Her, J.-Y Hsieh, H. 1998 “A Review of Squeak and Rattle Prevention - A Personal Perspective,” Proceedings Noise-Con 98 Ypsilanti, MI 157 162
- Liu, K.J. DeVilbiss, T. Freeman, M. 1999 “Experimental Analysis of Rattle Noise Abatement in Seatbelt Retractor Assembly” Proceedings of the 1999 SAE Noise and Vibration Conference Volume I Traverse City, MI 551 556
- Malinow, I. Perkins, N. 1999 “Seat Belt Retractor Rattle: Understanding Root Sources and Testing Methods” Proceedings of the 1999 SAE Noise and Vibration Conference Volume I Traverse City, MI 591 597
- Schneider, M. Peterson, E. 1999 “Developing Robust Vibration Excitation and Control Methods for Evaluating Rattle Noise in Automotive Components” Proceedings of the 1999 SAE Noise and Vibration Conference Volume I Traverse City, MI 563 569