This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Control of Human Thermal Comfort Using Digit Feedback Setpoint Reset
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published July 15, 2002 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper presents a definition of human thermal comfort that can be used for control purposes. A control strategy and architecture based on a Proportional Integral Derivative (PID) controller format is developed. Problems and limitations are discussed and the results from both simulations and experiments are used to demonstrate the practicality of the comfort definition.
CitationCline, H., Thornton, S., and Nair, S., "Control of Human Thermal Comfort Using Digit Feedback Setpoint Reset," SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-2539, 2002, https://doi.org/10.4271/2002-01-2539.
- Billingham J. 1970 Physiological specifications for personal life support systems Portable Life Support systems, NASA SP-234 Ames Research Center Conference Moffett Field, California April 30 – May 2, 1969 Washington, D.C. National Aeronautics and Space Administration
- Campbell A.B. 1999 Thermal Modeling, Analysis and Control of a Space Suit Ph.D. Dissertation University of Missouri Columbia
- Chambers A.B. Blackaby J.R. Miles J.B. 1973 A Study of the Thermoregulatory Characteristics of a Liquid-Cooled Garment with Automatic Temperature Control Based on Sweat Rate: Experimental Investigation and Biothermal Man-Model Development NASA Ames Research Center NASA TN-7311
- Cross C. Chipwadia K 1997 Advanced Technology Spacesuit Technical Requirements Document, JSC Document 38715
- Chambers A.B. 1970 Controlling thermal comfort in the EVA space suit ASHRAE Journal 12 3 33 38
- Dunaway B. 1987 Automatic Liquid and Ventilation Cooling Garment Control Algorithm: Final Test Report Houston, TX National Aeronautics and Space Administration, Johnson Space Center, Crew and Thermal Systems Division CTSD-SS- 176
- Gonzalez R.R. 1981 Chapter 8: Exercise Physiology and Sensory Responses Bioengineering, Thermal Physiology and Comfort Cena K. Clark J.A. 123 144
- Hensel H. 1981 Thermoreception and temperature regulation Monographs of the Physiological Society, No 38 Academic Press London
- Koscheyev V.S. Greaves I.A. Leon G.R. Hubel A. Nelson E.D. 1996 Comfort and Heat Control During Extended Space Flights 26th International Conference on Environmental Systems Warrendale, PA July 8-11 1996 Society of Automotive Engineers SAE 961538
- Olesen B.W. 1984 How Many Sites Are Necessary To Estimate a Mean Skin Temperature? Thermal Physiology 36 Hales J.R.S. Raven Press New York
- Waligora J.M. 1967 Thermal Comfort and Tolerance Design Criteria National Aeronautics and Space Administration NASA-TM-84849
- Webb P. 1970 Thermoregulation In Actively Cooled Working Men Physiological and Behavioral Temperature Regulation 756 774 Hardy J.D. Gagge A.P. Stolwijk J.A.J. Charles C. Thomas Springfield, IL
- Cline C.H.O. 2002 Study of Human Thermal Comfort and Control. M.S. Thesis University of Missouri Columbia
- Thornton S.B. 2002 Thermal Comfort and Control in Suited Environments. Ph.D. Dissertation University of Missouri Columbia