This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Development of a Mechanically Pumped Two-Phase CO2 Cooling Loop for the AMS-2 Tracker Experiment
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published July 15, 2002 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The Alpha Magnetic Spectrometer AMS-2 is planned for a five years mission as attached payload on ISS, the International Space Station. It is an international experiment searching for anti-matter, dark matter, and missing matter. AMS-2, an improved version of AMS-1 flown on STS 91, consists of various particle detector systems, one of these being the (Silicon) Tracker. The trade-off based choice and the experimental feasibility demonstration of a mechanically pumped two-phase CO2 cooling loop for the Tracker is discussed in detail. The current status and ongoing and planned development activities are discussed.
CitationDelil, A., Woering, A., and Verlaat, B., "Development of a Mechanically Pumped Two-Phase CO2 Cooling Loop for the AMS-2 Tracker Experiment," SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-2465, 2002, https://doi.org/10.4271/2002-01-2465.
- Viertel, G.M. Capell, M. The Alpha Magnetic Spectrometer Nuclear Instruments & Methods in Physics Research, A419 1998 295 299
- Delil, A.A.M. Research Issues on Two-Phase Loops for Space Applications NLR-TP-2000-703, Proc ISAS Symposium on Space Flight Mechanics Sagamihara, Japan 2000
- Delil, A.A.M. Woering, A.A. Verlaat, B. Boer Rookhuizen, H. Perrin, E. Pohl, M. Battiston, R. Feasibility Demonstration of Mechanically Pumped Two-Phase CO 2 Cooling Loop for the AMS-2 Tracker Experiment NLT-TP-2001-376, Conf. on Thermophysics in Microgravity, AIP Proc. Space Technology & Applications Int. Forum, Albuquerque, USA 2002
- Woering, A.A. Pauw, A. Delil, A.A.M. AMS Tracker Thermal Control System NLR-CR-2001-393 2001
- Boer Rookhuizen, H. et al The CO 2 Cooling System for the LHCb Vertex Detector NIKHEF LHCb Note/VELO 2001
- Carey, V. P. et al Liquid-Vapor Phase-Change Phenomena Hemisphere Publishing Company Washington 1992
- Kandlikar, S.G. A General Correlation for Saturated Two-Phase Flow Boiling Heat Transfer inside Horizontal and Vertical Tubes J. Heat Transfer 112 1989 219 228
- Pettersen, J. Rieberer, R. Munkejord, S.T. Heat Transfer and Pressure Drop for Flow of Supercritical and Subcritical CO 2 in Microchannel Tubes Norwegian University of Science and Technology/SINTEF Energy Research, TR A5127 2000
- Delil, A.A.M. Tutorial on Single-Component and Two-Component Two-Phase Flow and Heat Transfer: Commonality and Difference NLR-TP-2001-417, Conf. on Thermophysics in Microgravity, AIP Proc. Space Technology & Applications Int. Forum Albuquerque, USA 2002
- Verlaat, B. Krijger, E. Performance Testing of the AMS TTCS CO 2 Evaporator NIKHEF ASR-T- 001/MT 01-02 2001
- Woering, A.A. Pauw, A. Vries, A.W.G. Delil, A.A.M. Verlaat, B. Thermal modelling Issues Concerning the Mechanically Pumped Two-Phase CO2 Cooling Loop for the AMS-2 Tracker SAE- 2002-01-2466 Proc. 32nd Int. Conf. on Environmental systems San Antonio, USA 2002