This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Ionizing Radiation: Multifunctionality and MDO Processes
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published July 15, 2002 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Traditionally radiation protection is left for evaluation after the completion of other engineering design processes followed by design changes to improve protection leading to off-optimum solutions of design problems. This project is a first attempt to develop optimization procedures with radiation constraint components from the beginning of the design process allowing performance optimization at reduced costs. The traditional limitation of radiation constraint analysis has been the slow computation time and the main focus thus far has been to apply high-performance computing to shielding analysis in preparation for MDO processes. We will describe the problem formulation, the framework for optimization, and progress towards developing highspeed computational procedures.
CitationWilson, J., Korte, J., Heinbockel, J., Clowdsley, M. et al., "Ionizing Radiation: Multifunctionality and MDO Processes," SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-2334, 2002, https://doi.org/10.4271/2002-01-2334.
- NCRP Radiation protection guidance for activities in low-earth orbit NCRP Report 132 2001
- Wilson J.W. et al. Physica Medica XVII 1 67 71 2001
- Cucinotta F.A. et al. Radiation Research 156 460 466 2001
- Qualls G.D. et al. International Space Station Radiation Shielding Model Development SAE 2001-01-2370 2001
- Clowdsley M.S. et al. Neutron Environment Calculations for Low Earth Orbit SAE 2001-01-2370 2001
- Nealy J.E. et al. Effects of orbit progression on the radiation exposures from solar Proton fluxes in low earth orbit under geomagnetic storm conditions Adv. Space Res. 17 2 117 120 1996
- Shinn J.L. et al. Effects of Target Fragmentation on Evaluation of LET Spectra From Space Radiations in Low-Earth Orbit (LEO) Environment: Impact on SEU Predictions IEEE Trans. Nucl. Science 42 1995 2017 2025
- Glaessgen E. et al. Analyses for Debonding of Stitched Composite Sandwich Structures Using Improved Constitutive Models 42 nd AIAA/ASME/ASCE/ASC Structures, Structural Dynamics, and Materials Conference Washington DC 2001
- Wilson J.W. Badvi F.F. Cucinotta F. A. Shinn J.L. Badhwar G.D. Silberberg R. Tsao C.H. Townsend L.W. Tripathi R.K. HZETRN: Description of a Free-Space Transport and Shielding Program NASA TP-3495 May 1995
- Wilson J.W. Kim M.Y. Shinn J.L. Thibeault S.A. Maiden D.L. Badavi F.F. Atwell W. Solar Cycle Variation and Application to the Space Radiation Environment NASA TP 1999-209369 September 1999