This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Research and Development, a First Consideration in Commercialization
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published July 15, 2002 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper summarizes the commercialization approach being used by Orbital Technologies Corporation and Planet Products Corporation. The approach begins with an overall strategy and is integral through several business, technology, and development decisions. Several stages exist in the development process, which begins with key go/no-go criteria and continues with more detailed assessment and analysis of technologies, markets, finance, and business/product models. The SBIR program and other seed funding opportunities are integral to individual product commercialization plans. ORBITEC has a very diverse technology heritage including environmental controls systems, combustion and materials, sensors/instrumentation, and advanced software systems. The commercialization approach is used to spin-off internally developed technologies as well as technologies from outside ORBITEC. We have placed and maintained one product on the market; several other products are currently in different stages of commercialization. Commercialization investment is needed to continue the transition of valuable technologies originally developed to solve a NASA, DOD or other Federal Government need, and to support diversification of the company revenue base.
CitationCrabb, T., "Research and Development, a First Consideration in Commercialization," SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-2268, 2002, https://doi.org/10.4271/2002-01-2268.
- Boulton Richard E.S. Libert Barry D. Samek Steve M. 2000 Cracking the Value Code Harper Business
- Robert A. Burgelman Maidique Modesto A. Wheelwright Steven C. 1996 Strategic Management of Technology and Innovation 2nd Irwin McGraw-Hill
- Cooper Robert G. 1993 Winning at New Products 2nd Addison-Wesley Publishing Company
- Copeland Tom Koller Murin Tim Murin Jack 1995 Valuation. Measuring and Managing the Value of Companies McKinsey & Company, Inc.
- Kevin Kelly 1999 New Rules for the New Economy: 10 Radical Strategies for a Connected World Penguin Books
- Moore Geoffrey A. 1995 Inside the Tornado: Marketing Strategies from Silicon Valley's Cutting Edge Harper Business
- Pricer R. Notes and class materials for MBA course, “Strategic Management and Business Policy” May 2000
- Tushman Michael L. 1997 Managing Strategic Innovation and Change Oxford University Press