This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Performance and Fuel Consumption Estimation of a Hydrogen Enriched Gasoline Engine at Part-Load Operation
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published July 9, 2002 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: International Body Engineering Conference & Exhibition and Automotive & Transportation Technology Congress
Hydrogen and gasoline can be burned together in internal combustion engines in a wide range of mixtures. In fact, the addition of small hydrogen quantities increases the flame speed at all gasoline equivalence ratios, so the engine operation at very lean air-gasoline mixtures is possible. In this paper, the performance of a spark-ignition engine, fuelled by hydrogen enriched gasoline, has been evaluated by using a numerical model. A hybrid combustion model for a dual fuel, according to two one-step overall reactions, has been implemented in the KIVA-3V code. The indicated mean pressure and the fuel consumption have been evaluated at part load operating points of a S.I. engine designed for gasoline fuelling. In particular, the possibility of operating at wide-open throttle, varying the equivalence ratio of air-gasoline mixture at fixed quantities of the supplemented hydrogen, has been studied.
CitationFontana, G., Galloni, E., Jannelli, E., and Minutillo, M., "Performance and Fuel Consumption Estimation of a Hydrogen Enriched Gasoline Engine at Part-Load Operation," SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-2196, 2002, https://doi.org/10.4271/2002-01-2196.
- Mathur H.B., Das L.M., “Performance characteristics of a Hydrogen Fueled SI Engine using Timed Manifold Injection”, Int. J. Hydrogen Energy, vol 16, pp. 115-127, 1991.
- Ricardo H.R., “Further Note on Fuel Research”, Proc. Automobile Engr (Lond.) 18 (1923).
- Jamal Y., Wyszynski M.L., “On-board Generation of Hydrogen-Rich Gaseous Fuels- A Review”, Int. J. Hydrogen Energy, vol. 19, No.7, pp. 557-572, 1994
- Apostolescu N., Chiriac R., “A Study of Combustion of Hydrogen-Enriched Gasoline in a Spark Ignition Engine”, SAE Paper, 960603, 1996.
- Petkov T., Veziroglu T.N., Sheffield J.W., “An Outlook of Hydrogen as an Automotive Fuel”, Int. J. Hydrogen Energy, vol. 14, No.7, pp. 449-474, 1989.
- Amsden, P. O'Rourke, J. and Butler T. D., “KIVA-II: A Computer Program for Chemically Reactive Flows with Sprays”, Los Alamos National Laboratory report LA-11560-MS (May 1989)
- Amsden, “KIVA-3V: A Block-Structured KIVA Program for Engines with Vertical or Canted Valves”, Los Alamos National Laboratory report LA-13313-MS (July 1997)
- Fontana G., Galloni E., Jannelli E., “Multidimensional Modeling of Premixed Turbulent Combustion: Models and Experimental Test of a Small Spark-Ignition Engine”, ASME Spring Conference, Philadelphia, 2001.
- Meintjes K., Morgan A.P., “Equilibrium Equations for a Model of Combustion”, Report no. GMR-4361, General Motors Research Laboratories, Warren, Mich., 1983
- Fontana G., Galloni E., Jannelli E., “Numerical simulation of a Four Cylinder, 16 V, Spark-Ignition Engine”, Proceedings of 32nd ISATA, pp.169-176, Vienna, 1999.
- Fontana G., Galloni E., Jannelli E., Minutillo M., “Numerical Modelling of a Small, Multivalve, Sparkigniton Engine: Predicted and Measured Performance at Part-Load Operation, 6° Convegno Internazionale Automobili e Motori High-Tech”, Modena, 2000.
- Magnussen F., Hjertager B. H., “On Mathematical Modeling of Turbulent Combustion with Special emphasis on Soot Formation and Combustion”, 16th Symposium (International) on Combustion, The Combustion Institute, 1977.
- Heywood J.B., “Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals”, Mc Graw-Hill, 1988.
- Milton B.E. and Keck J.C., “Laminar Burning Velocities in Stoichiometric Hydrogen and Hydrogen-Hydrocarbon Gas Mixtures”, Combustion and Flame, 58, 1984, pp. 13-22.
- Westbrook C.K. and Dryer F.L., “Chemical Kinetic Modeling of Hydrocarbon Combustion”, Progr. Energy Combust. Science, Vol. 10, 1984. pp. 1-57.
- Marinov, N., Westbrook, C.K. and Pitz, W.J., “Detailed and Global Chemical Kinetics Model for Hydrogen” in Transport Phenomena in Combustion, Volume 1 (Chan S. H., edited), Talyor and Francis, Washington, DC, 1996. (UCRL-JC-120677.)
- Varde, K.S., Frame, G.M., “A Study of Combustion and Engine Performance Using Electronic Hydrogen Fuel Injection”, Int. J. Hydrogen Energy, vol 9, No.4, pp. 327-332, 1984.
- Gentili R., “Lean Air-Fuel Mixtures Supplemented with Hydrogen for S.I. Engines: a Possible Way to Reduce Specific Fuel Consumption?”, Int. J. Hydrogen Energy, vol. 10, No.7/8, pp. 491-495, 1985.
- Das L.M., “Hydrogen-Oxygen Reaction Mechanism and its Implication to Hydrogen Engine Combustion”, Int. J. Hydrogen Energy, vol. 21, No.8, pp. 703-715, 1996
- Mathur H.B., Khajuria P.R., “A Computer Simulation of Hydrogen Fueled Spark Ignition Engine” Int. J. Hydrogen Energy, vole 11, No.6, pp. 409-417, 1986.
- May H., Gwinner D., “Possibilities of Improving Exhaust Emissions and Energy Consumption in Mixed Hydrogen-Gasoline Operation”, Int. J. Hydrogen Energy, vol. 8, No.2, pp. 121-129, 1982.
- Swain M.R., Schade G.J., Swain M., “Design and Testing of a Dedicated Hydrogen-Fueled Engine”, SAE Paper, 961077, 1996.
- Jing-Ding Li, Ying-Oing Lu, Tian-Shen Du, “Improvement on the Combustion of a Hydrogen Fueled Engine”, Int. J. Hydrogen Energy, vole 11, No.10, pp. 661-665, 1986.
- Yu G., Law C.K. and Wu C.K., “Laminar Flame Speeds of Hydrocarbon + Air Mixtures with Hydrogen Addition”, Combustion and Flame, 63, 1986, pp. 339-347.
- Ramos J. I., “Internal Combustion Engine Modeling”, Hemisphere, 1989
- Han Z., Reitz R. D., “Turbulence Modeling of Internal Combustion Engines using RNG k-ε Model”, Combustion Science and Technology, 1995