This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Scavenge Streams Analysis in High Speed 2T Gasoline Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published July 09, 2002 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: International Body Engineering Conference & Exhibition and Automotive & Transportation Technology Congress
In two stroke engines, the scavenging process has direct influence in the performance of combustion process and then retains great importance in the strategies oriented towards solutions characterized by improvements of fuel efficiency, engine power output and reductions of pollutant emissions.
The authors have developed an integrated numerical-experimental predictive tool, based on a two-step procedure, in which zero-dimensional, one-dimensional and three-dimensional simulation models are applied.
In this paper, the attention is focused on the analysis in detail of different flow patterns which contribute to determine the scavenging process in order to provide a better comprehension and then to get improvement of such complex process.
Since the scavenging efficiency strongly depends on the geometry of the engine system, the effect of a variation of the geometrical parameters on the flow paths and on the distribution of the scavenge streams is investigated.
CitationChiatti, G. and Chiavola, O., "Scavenge Streams Analysis in High Speed 2T Gasoline Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-2180, 2002, https://doi.org/10.4271/2002-01-2180.
- WAVE user's manual 1996 Ricardo North America, Inc. Burr Ridge, IL, USA
- Boost user's manual 1999 AVL LIST GmbH
- Chiatti G. Chiavola O. 2001 Proceedings of the Small Engine Conference and Exhibition 59 68 Integrated numerical-experimental method in high speed 2T gasoline engine design refinement
- Reid M. G. Douglas R. 1994 SAE paper 941680 Quasi-dimensional modelling of combustion in a two-stroke cycle ignition engine
- Benson R. S. Whitehouse N. D: 1979 Pergamon, Oxford Internal combustion engines
- Sher E. 1985 SAE paper 850085 A new practical model for the scavenging process in a two-stroke cycle engine
- Sher E. Harari R. 1991 Proc. Instn. Mech. Engrs 205 129 137 A simple and realistic model for the scavenging process in a crankcase-scavenged two-stroke cycle engine
- Blair G. P. Lau H. B. Cartwright A. Raghunathan B. D. Mackey D. O. 1995 SAE paper 952138 Coefficients of discharge at the apertures of engines
- Chiavola O. 2001 Proc. Instn. Mech. Engrs 215 A 495 506 Integrated Modelling of internal combustion engine intake and exhaust systems
- FIRE Manual AVL LIST GmbH
- Blair G. P. 1990 Society of Automotive Engineers, Inc The Basic Design of Two-Stroke Engines
- Rosskamp H. Klimmek A. Pretzsch P. Mugele M. 2001 Proceedings of the Small Engine Conference and Exhibition 17 24 Scavenge loss mechanisms and their driving forces in loop-scavenged high-performance two-stroke engines